This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1431 / 54°8'35"N
Longitude: -2.1033 / 2°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 393351
OS Northings: 471921
OS Grid: SD933719
Mapcode National: GBR FNRJ.FK
Mapcode Global: WHB6F.N4N5
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324587
Location: Arncliffe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Arncliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 9271 - 9371 ARNCLIFFE
22/3 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage, now two houses. Probably 1770, with mid C19 addition and C20
conversion. Coursed squared rubble and ashlar, graduated stone slate roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays, with projecting added bay, right. Chamfered quoins.
West front: the original range has a central round-headed window on each
floor, with glazing bars and keyed stone surrounds, flanked by corniced
Venetian windows; ground floor windows have Tuscan columns with ashlar
panels below; first floor sill band. A panel below the central first-floor
window has the inscription: "Edes Hasce Sacerdotales/ H.Tennant, A.M./
Hodie Vicarius Extruxit/ AD MDCC_XII"; the fifth letter of the date has been
erased, probably "L", the date originally 1770. Projecting added bay to
the right: inserted doorway, left. Rear: the original range has 5 windows
to each floor, all sashes with glazing bars in architraves with first-floor
sill band. The projecting added bay to left has two similar windows to
each floor and has chamfered quoins. Right return, the main facade of the
C19 house: a glazed door in recessed porch which is flanked by Tuscan
columns with cornice and entablature; sashes to left, ground and first
floor, and above the entrance; inserted window to right of entrance.
Interior: A large C19 staircase hall is built against the right-hand
window of the original house. Henry Tennant was Rector of Arncliffe 1765-
1779 and built the house just before his brother, John built the Chapel
House, Kilnsey (1783) in similar style. Whitaker (c1800) refers to " the
shell of a handsome vicarage erected by the last incumbent", suggesting
that the house was either not completed or was unoccupied. The extension
was probably built after 1835 by Canon Boyd. T.D. Whitaker, History of
Craven, (c1805) p.580
Listing NGR: SD9335171921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings