History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Top House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kettlewell with Starbotton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.17 / 54°10'12"N

Longitude: -2.0739 / 2°4'26"W

OS Eastings: 395270

OS Northings: 474915

OS Grid: SD952749

Mapcode National: GBR FNY6.SX

Mapcode Global: WHB68.3GP1

Entry Name: Hill Top House

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324699

Location: Kettlewell with Starbotton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kettlewell with Starbotton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

SD 97 SE KETTLEWELL WITH STARBOTTON MAIN STREET
(east side, off)
Starbotton

11/113 Hill Top House

10.9.54

- II

House. Dated 1670 with C18-early C19 alterations. Limestone rubble,
graduated stone slate roof. A 2-storey, 4-bay range facing south, with a
taller 2-bay rear wing facing east. Quoins. Main range: half-glazed door
between bays 1 and 2 with tristone jambs, slightly chamfered, and a moulded
cornice. A blocked doorway to bay 3, having chamfered quoins to right jamb
and a large lintel with a segmental arch, the left jamb and part of the
lintel removed when a window of 3 stepped lights with flat-faced mullions
was inserted. The remaining windows, to bays 1 and 4 and throughout the
first floor, have lugged sashes with glazing bars. The right jamb and part
of the sill and lintel of a destroyed recessed chamfered window to ground
floor, right. Flat kneelers, gable coping and corniced end stacks, a
further ridge stack above the blocked doorway. The eaves have been raised
at first-floor window lintel level. Left return of-main range: a square
recessed chamfered window with 4 panes to ground floor, left, a small
round-headed window above. Main range right return: 2 ground-floor and 1
first-floor sash window as front. Rear wing east side: board door right
in chamfered surround with solid jambs and a reset lintel with triangular
arch and 2 recessed panels with raised lettering "LDL" and "1670". Moulded
cornice over. A large 2-light recessed chamfered window with hood mould to
left and first floor; a narrow hollow chamfered window far left, with a
straight chamfer above. Rear wing west side: an added dairy outshut,
right, with a 2-light mullion window to ground floor and a small square
window above, both with recessed chamfers. The left bay has a 4-light
recessed window with hoodmould, one mullion replaced in wood, and a 4, now
2-light window above, both recessed chamfered. Moulded kneeler and gable
copings and a tall moulded corniced stack to left. Rear wing, north gable:
an added outshut obscures ground floor; 2 narrow lights to first floor,
left rectangular, right round headed. Interior, main range: direct entry
to the central room with large fireplace, right, which has a late C18 stone
surround, the lintel supported by moulded corbels. The cross-beam has
stepped run-out stops. Ground floor right: this room has a fine small C17
fireplace with chamfered surround and triangular arched head. The inner
room, right is only half a bay in length. Interior, rear wing: entry from
the dated doorway into a large kitchen with fine segmental-arched fireplace
with keystone and voussoirs. Inserted stairs between wing and main range,
the added dairy has a cellar beneath, also under the rear wing. Both ranges
are C17 in origin; the main range originally with lobby entry onto the side
of a large fireplace, rebuilt c1800. The inner heated parlour and narrow
storage bay represent good examples of an early C17 plan. The present
entrance door and fireplace probably date to a complete reordering and
refenestration; a newspaper dated 1805 was found in the underceiling of the
living room during recent restoration. The rear wing was probably built as
continued. . . .
a kitchen wing, the large fireplace contemporary with the 1670 dated
lintel. There was probably a newel stair in the corner lit by the single-
light window; the cellar and dairy were probably added during the extensive
c1800 reordering. It is likely that the main range was the original house
on the site, the rear wing added to increase the cooking and storage area
in 1670 and the whole house altered, including rendering to the main facade
(removed during restoration c1980) in the early C19.


Listing NGR: SD9527074915

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.