This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2289 / 54°13'44"N
Longitude: -2.2001 / 2°12'0"W
OS Eastings: 387055
OS Northings: 481486
OS Grid: SD870814
Mapcode National: GBR FM2J.HT
Mapcode Global: WHB5T.5YMX
Entry Name: Former School and Chapel
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324635
Location: Buckden, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Buckden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 88 SE BUCKDEN OUGHTERSHAW
2/48 Former school
School and chapel, now house. Dated 1856. Probably by John Ruskin for
Charles Woodd, in memory of his wife Lydia Wilson Woodd. Coursed limestone
and gritstone blocks in contrasting bands, graduated stone slate roof. A
rectangular single-storey building with 3 windows on the south side and an
entrance bay on the east end. East end: a massive round arch of 2 orders,
with imposts and dripmoulding, provides a full-height porch. Within is a
shouldered-arched board double door with large strap hinges decorated with
elaborate leaf motifs. Flanking attached columns support the arch with
contrasting coloured voussoirs and the tympanum below has a chi-rho symbol
in relief and inscription: "LYDIA WILSON WOODD AT PAU 16 JUNE 1856 AGED
32". South side: 3 windows composed of paired round-headed lights with
colonette. A bellcot with corbelled cover to right. Moulded stone
guttering on plain brackets; shaped kneelers and gable coping with cross
finials. West end: a 3-light window as south front, circular plaque with
4-petal motif to gable. The south and east walls are decorated with
fossiliferous marble plaques of diamond, shield and circular shapes.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. The building post-dates the
publication of Ruskin's "The Stones of Venice" (1851 and 53). Ruskin made
frequent visits to the north of England in the later 1850's and was
aquainted with the Woodd family of Oughtershaw Hall. The family archives
include letters from Ruskin regarding the school. In his "Stones of
Venice", Ruskin emphasised the horizontal layering of masonry and the link
with geology and advocated bold chamfers and outlines, with deep recessed
openings. All these features are displayed in the school at Oughtershaw.
R. Dixon and S. Muthesius, Victorian Architecture, 1978, p201.
A. B. Woodd, personal communication.
Listing NGR: SD8705581486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.