History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tarn House

A Grade II Listed Building in Malham Moor, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.101 / 54°6'3"N

Longitude: -2.1639 / 2°9'49"W

OS Eastings: 389380

OS Northings: 467241

OS Grid: SD893672

Mapcode National: GBR FPB0.BP

Mapcode Global: WHB6L.Q5SZ

Entry Name: Tarn House

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324725

Location: Malham Moor, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Malham Moor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby-in-Malhamdale St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Malham

Listing Text

SD 86 NE MALHAM MOOR TARN HOUSE ROAD
(south side)

14/139 Tarn House

II


Country house, now National Trust Field Centre. c.1780 for Thomas Lister, Lord
Ribblesdale, with extension to rear c.1802 and 1853 and additions to the east in
1862-85 for Walter Morrison. Dressed medium-grained sandstone, greyslate
roofs. 2-storey, 3 x 3 bay C18 range with 1 x 3 bay later C19 east range, and
other C19 additions to rear, not of special interest. South front C18 range has
centre breaking forward as a 2-storey canted bay and later C19 glass-roofed
verandah; recessed sashes throughout, with plate glass to ground floor and with
glazing bars to first floor; eaves band; hipped roof; ridge stacks flanking
central bay and 2 more to left return. On right, bow fronted east range has
tall windows to ground and first floor,with architraves and sill band; eaves
band and cornice. left return: rendered with raised quoins; square central
window with tall stair window above; flanking sashes with glazing bars in
projecting stone surround. Right return: main entrance in porch with large
doors in moulded architrave and cornice on brackets. Interior: the east
(entrance) range has a find staircase with wrought iron balustrade. Thomas
Lister was MP for Clitheroe in Lancashire until 1790 when he retired to his
estate at Gisburn Park. He was created Baron Ribblesdale of Gisburn Park in 1797
and built Tarn House (then called Malham Water House) as a hunting box occupied
by his agent Thomas Collins (d.1816). In 1852 Lister's son sold the extended
house to James Morrison whose son lived there until his death in 1921. the
Morrisons were visited by Charles Kingsley who was inspired to write "The Water
Babies" while staying there, and John Ruskin probably influenced the design of
the east entrance wing which had a tall campanile above the entrance (demolished
after 1963) A. Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p.138 A. Raistrick, Malham
Tarn House, Field Studies-Vol.l No. 5 1963, p.89.


Listing NGR: SD8938067241

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.