History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Justice Room Approximately 5 Metres South of Kildwick Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kildwick, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9126 / 53°54'45"N

Longitude: -1.9837 / 1°59'1"W

OS Eastings: 401167

OS Northings: 446276

OS Grid: SE011462

Mapcode National: GBR GRL6.B5

Mapcode Global: WHB7G.HXLC

Entry Name: The Justice Room Approximately 5 Metres South of Kildwick Hall

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324730

Location: Kildwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kildwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD
(north side)

1/5 The Justice Room
approximately 5
metres south of
10.9.54 Kildwick Hall

GV II

Carriage house and room over, now restaurant. Late C17 - early C18,
probably for Henry Currer, with C19 alterations. Coursed gritstone and
ashlar, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 2 bays. Ashlar angle
pilasters to ground floor, rusticated quoins above; deep first-floor ashlar
band with projecting band over; moulded eaves cornice. West side (to
courtyard): central basket-arched carriage entry having double board doors
with strap hinges, roll-moulded quoined jambs and voussoirs, the latter
breaking the first-floor band. Flanking board doors in architraves with 2-
light overlights. 3 flat-faced cross-windows to first floor; roll-moulded
architraves with ashlar panels above and below; the central window blocked
by coursed rubble chimney flue. Guttering supported by scrolled iron
brackets. Ashlar stack at eaves, centre. East side (to garden): The
higher ground level obscures the ground floor, access is by the central
double glazed doors at first floor, via a double flight of stone steps with
plain C20 iron balustrade. The doorway was originally a cross-window with
elaborate architrave; flanking cross-windows with ashlar panels as west
side. South front (to road): pilasters, ground-floor windows as side
walls, the first-floor windows deeper with 18-pane sashes (restored); the
plinth and first-floor band break forward slightly with the ashlar panels
above and below the windows; the stonework of this front is better dressed
than the side walls. The moulded eaves cornice is carried across the gable
to form a deeply-moulded triangular pediment. Ashlar gable copings; acorn
finial. North gable end: mostly obscured by C20 walling. Narrow window in
architrave to ground floor, right; doorway in architrave with 2-light
overlight to first floor, centre; ashlar panel above. Lead downpipe,
probably reset, to right, the hopper has raised lettering " C "
H A
1665
(Hugh Currer and his wife, Ann Haworth). Interior: stone flag floor to
ground level, inserted staircase against east wall, inscriptions on the
ground-floor south window sill date from 1770's and 80's and include the
initials M A and a scratched sundial. First floor: enlarged fireplace,
probably C19, moulded ceiling cornice, fielded panels to window reveals.
Henry Currer (d.1723) has a memorial in the choir of Kildwick Church
recording that he was ' a great proficient in the study of the law' who
remained at Kildwick as a Justice of the Bench rather than making a fortune
in London. He probably initiated the construction of this garden house,
possibly an orangery, but no evidence has yet been found to indicate its
use as a courtroom, other than the name. The first floor was apparently
separate from the ground floor, was entered from the north side (nearest
the house) and may have been unheated. The garden steps and entrance were
probably made in the mid C19 when the Wilson family were in residence, but
in 1911 it was used as a billiard room. Country Life, Vol 29, 1911, p132.
T.D. Whitaker, History of Craven, 1805, revised edition 1878, p214.


Listing NGR: SE0116746276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.