This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2868 / 54°17'12"N
Longitude: -2.1258 / 2°7'32"W
OS Eastings: 391908
OS Northings: 487909
OS Grid: SD919879
Mapcode National: GBR FLLW.K2
Mapcode Global: WHB5N.9JZ1
Entry Name: Countersett Hall
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323084
Location: Bainbridge, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bainbridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 98 NW
13/62 Countersett Hall
Manor house. Dated 1650. For Richard Robinson. Rubble, stone slate roof.
2 storeys, 1:1:4 first-floor windows, with added 2-storey porch in bay 2.
Quoins. Porch: part-glazed 4-panel door in round-arched ashlar surround
with imposts and interrupted jambs. Over keystone, stone inscribed
" R "
R M 1650 . Above, stepped hood-mould. On first floor, stepped 3-light
window with hood-mould, and pigeon-loft in coped gable with corbel-shaped
kneelers. Right return of porch: single-light window on first floor.
Chamfered inner doorway with part-glazed door. Ground floor to left: 2-
light flat-faced mullion window with hoodmould. To right: 7-light double
chamfered mullion window, originally 2 windows of 3- and 2-lights; 2 6-pane
sash windows, all under continuous hoodmould, stepped over first window.
First floor, to left: 2-light double-chamfered mullion window. To right: 3-
light double-chamfered mullion window; fire window with trefoil head and
wave moulding on arris; two 3-light double-chamfered mullion windows.
Shaped ovolo kneelers, ashlar coping. Corniced stacks at ends and between
bays 4 and 5. Single-storey lean-to extension to right with leaved board
door and sash window with glazing bars. Rear elevation: two 2-light
chamfered-mullion windows, 1 single-light chamfered window, and another,
blocked. Artificial stone slate roof. Left return: 2 single-light windows,
and 1 chamfered single-light opening to left with drip-mould. Interior:
part of beehive oven in hall; in parlour, chamfered segmental-arched
fireplace, panelled shutters, panelling, niche cupboard and moulded beams.
First floor: in room over hall, decorated cupboard door; in room over
parlour, stone fireplace with 4-centred pointed arch; C17 door with splatted
grille to rear bedroom. Curved-principal rafter roof trusses. Richard
Robinson became the first Quaker in Wensleydale in 1652, and illicit
meetings were held in the parlour of Countersett Hall before the building of
the nearby Meeting House (qv). George Fox stayed at Countersett Hall in
1652 and in 1677. Braithwaite W C, The Beginnings of Quakerism, (1970), pp
148-50. Hartley M and Ingilby J, Yorkshire Village (1979), p 83; North
Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Number 693.
Listing NGR: SD9190887909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings