History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block Approximately One Hundred Metres to North of Sedbury Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4416 / 54°26'29"N

Longitude: -1.6964 / 1°41'47"W

OS Eastings: 419784

OS Northings: 505171

OS Grid: NZ197051

Mapcode National: GBR JKL2.JL

Mapcode Global: WHC66.XMBC

Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately One Hundred Metres to North of Sedbury Hall

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316933

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323356

Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sed

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gilling

Listing Text

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH SEDBURY PARK
NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY

14/141 Stable Block
approximately 100 metres
4.2.69 to north of Sedbury Hall
(formerly listed as
Stables at Sedbury Park)

GV II

Stables and coach-house, now outbuildings. Late C18 or early C19. Probably
by John Foss of Richmond, for the D'Arcy Hutton family. Coursed dressed
sandstone, stone slate roofs. U-shaped plan. 1 and 2 storeys, 1:3:3:3:1
bays, the side bays projecting forward. Plinth. Quoins. Central range:
coach-house; 2 storeys, deeper in plan. 3-bay rounded arcade to coach-
house, with ashlar voussoirs, abaci, piers and responds, now with garage
doors, and in front an added glass hipped-roof canopy supported on cast-iron
columns. On first floor, 6-pane sash windows in dressed surrounds. Eaves
band. Hipped roof. To left: round-arched openings with continuous impost
band, one containing window with glazing bars, radial at top, and the others
with 6-panel doors below fanlights. Eaves band. To right: similar design,
but with central leaved door below fanlight flanked by 2 matching windows.
Left wing: armorial achievement, carved in stone, brought from Ellemore
Hall, Co Durham in 1947, set in front of part-blocked window set within
recessed round arch. Hipped roof. Right wing: leaved doors below fanlight
with ashlar surround set within recessed round arch with impost band.
Hipped roof. Right return, left wing: 4 bays of recessed round-arched
panels with door, window, door and window, and with mounting block to left,
and above it, cartouche with coat of arms. Left return, right wing: has
been similar, but now with 2 garage doors, and the rest windows. Rear of
coach-house: tall round-arched carriageway, possibly for farm wagon. Rear
of right centre range: board door with cast-iron ventilation grills within
C17 ashlar elaborately-moulded surround. Interior, right wing: round-arched
recesses for mangers, and wooden furniture with acorn finials of one stall.


Listing NGR: NZ1978405171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.