This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9112 / 53°54'40"N
Longitude: -2.0329 / 2°1'58"W
OS Eastings: 397936
OS Northings: 446119
OS Grid: SD979461
Mapcode National: GBR GR76.PP
Mapcode Global: WHB7F.RY4G
Entry Name: Engine House at Conoley Lead Mine
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323647
Location: Cononley, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cononley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lothersdale Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 94 NE CONONLEY STOCKSHOTT LANE
Engine House at Cononley
Engine house, c 1842, probably by Stephen Eddy, for the Duke of Devonshire. Coursed
squared stone with some brick patching, roofless. Two storeys, rectangular on plan.
Ashlar quoins. West gable end has 2 pointed arched openings, one above the other,
that below larger than that above. Both with radiating voussoirs and raised keystones.
Blocked openings to sides and below which formerly housed machinery. East gable wall
has plain doorcase below timber lintel to right. Above a square opening and above
again a similar opening to centre. North side has brick blocking to former arched
opening to right. Square opening with timber lintel to centre and small blocked open-
ing above. South wall blank except for remains of rubble walling to former boiler house.
Interior has no machinery surviving. Part of a group of lead mine buildings at Cononley
which were erected by the Duke of Devonshire's agent between 1842 and 1847.
Listing NGR: SD9793646119
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings