History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Middleton Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Middleton Tyas, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4563 / 54°27'22"N

Longitude: -1.6567 / 1°39'24"W

OS Eastings: 422351

OS Northings: 506825

OS Grid: NZ223068

Mapcode National: GBR JJWX.39

Mapcode Global: WHC67.J891

Entry Name: Middleton Lodge

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322126

Location: Middleton Tyas, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Middleton Tyas

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middleton Tyas with Moulton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Middleton Tyas

Listing Text

In the entry for MIDDLETON TYAS KNEETON LANE
(east side, off)
2/60
Middleton Lodge
(formerly listed as
Middleton House)

The address shall be amended to read: KNEETON LANE
(east side, off)

Middleton Lodge

------------------------------------

MIDDLETON TYAS KNEETON LANE
NZ 20 NW (east side, off)

2/60 Middleton Lodge
(Formerly listed as
4.2.69 Middleton House)

GV II*

Country house with service range, and balustrade attached to south-east
side. House of 1777-80, by John Carr of York for George Hartley (1726-80),
a barrister. Ashlar sandstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2-storey house of
1:3:1 bays, with 3-storey service range of 2:3 bays to left. House: central
3 bays project slightly and are pedimented. Plinth. Central pedimented
distyle Roman Doric portico with fluted frieze, dentil cornice with mutules.
Part-glazed door below fanlight with radial glazing bars in round-arched
architrave with Tuscan capitals. Sash windows with glazing bars in
architraves, on ground floor with sill band and dentilled cornices. First-
floor band and sill band, and with balustered aprons between below first-
floor windows. Modillion cornice. Tympanum has cartouche with ribbons
above and festoons below. Hipped roof, with corniced ridge stacks flanking
central bay. To left, 3 bays of service range recessed behind courtyard
wall: central 6-panel leaved door below fanlight with radial glazing bars
and stepped voussoirs. Sash windows with glazing bars on ground and second
floors, of half size and 6 panes on first floor. Second-floor sill band.
Cornice. Stacks flanking central bay. Wall in front of courtyard of
coursed stone with central ashlar gate piers with banded rustication,
cornices and friezes with paterae, and contemporary wrought-iron gate with
fleurs-de-lys finials and guilloche motif on mid-rail. To left again, 2
bays with fenestration as last 3 bays. Rear: 2 storeys plus basement; 2:1:2
bays, the central bay canted. Sash windows with glazing bars, ground-floor
sill band, first-floor band and sill band with balustered aprons. Dentil
cornice. Hipped roof with corniced stacks flanking central bay. 5-bay
service range slightly recessed to right: sash windows with glazing bars on
ground and second floors except for casement window in second bay on second
floor; of half size and 6 panes on first floor. Cornice. Hipped roof.
Corniced stacks between first and second, second and third, and fourth and
fifth bays. Right return: 1:1:1 bays, the central bay canted. Plinth.
Sash windows with glazing bars except for doorway in central side of ground
floor of canted bay; ground-floor sill band, first-floor band and sill band
with balustered aprons. Dentil cornice. Hipped roof. Corniced stacks
flanking central bay. C17 balustrade along edge of terrace and returning to
house at north-east corner, was brought from Halnaby Hall, approximately 3
miles to the east, demolished in 1953. Interior: entrance hall with fluted
and roundel frieze; library to right with dentilled cornice; behind it an
octagonal drawing room with niches and anthemion frieze; behind it a morning
room with coved fluted frieze; to its left the elliptical dining room with
niches and frieze with urns and scrolls; central elliptical staircase hall
with 6 Doric doorcases with guttae to cornices, cantilevered stone stairs
with plain wrought-iron balusters, first-floor landing with round-arched
doorways with open pediments on consoles, and dome with lunette windows in
the coving; octagonal and oval bedrooms above best rooms below. The main
rooms have window shutters and doors of 6 reeded panels, those to dining
room are curved; the other rooms have fielded panels. One of roof beams is
dated 1780. R B Wragg, "Middleton Lodge", York Georgian Society Annual
Report (1976), pp 21-26.


Listing NGR: NZ2235106825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.