This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5655 / 51°33'55"N
Longitude: -0.6644 / 0°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 492668
OS Northings: 186027
OS Grid: SU926860
Mapcode National: GBR F7C.SYT
Mapcode Global: VHFSV.FXL7
Entry Name: Dropmore
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44284
Location: Burnham, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL1
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Burnham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Dropmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 NW TAPLOW HEATHFIELD ROAD
1792-5 by Samuel Wyatt for Lord Grenville with alterations 1806-9 by C H Tatham.
Gardens, Pinetum and Plantations designed and planted by Lord Grenville (died
1834) and Lady Grenville (died 1864). The Burnham/Taplow parish boundary passes
through the house. Cement rendered and colourwashed; slate roof. ENTRANCE
FACADE. 5 bays; 2 storeys except bays 2 and 4 which are of 3 and advanced
somewhat. Central hexastyle single-storeyed portico with Tuscan columns.
Ground floor with Tuscan pilasters supporting a triglyph entablature. Sash
windows except in bays 2 and 4 which have tripartite windows with blank segmen-
tal arches over. 1st floor windows sashes except those of bays 2 and 4 which
are tripartite and within moulded surrounds. The 3rd floor windows in bays 2
and 4 square sashes within moulded surrounds. Moulded cornice and blocking
course. GARDEN FACADE. Wholly of 2 storeys and with 3 bows with shallow domed
roofs. All along the ground floor, wooden trellis work with a conservatory be-
tween the bow windows on the right. This trellis work continues beyond the
house on the left (SEE item 1/683). INTERIOR. Entrance hall with screen of
columns. Good plaster ceilings and fireplaces in several rooms. CL, 11 & 18
October 1956. To the right of the house, first, (SEE item 1/683) and of early
C19 red brick. Against it on the S a lean-to with slate roof supported on
decorative iron trellis work. Then, to the right of the house again, the stable
yard. Early C19, considerably altered. Red brick; slate roof. Arched entrance
with small wooden louvred cupola on skyline and clock facing into the yard.
2 storeyed ranges, that on the N with original horse stalls.
Listing NGR: SU9266886027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings