This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7502 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: 0.1713 / 0°10'16"E
OS Eastings: 549984
OS Northings: 207948
OS Grid: TL499079
Mapcode National: GBR MG9.84L
Mapcode Global: VHHMF.X8FN
Entry Name: Rolls Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118116
Location: Magdalen Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Magdalen Laver
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 500 079
(Formerly listed as Rolls)
House, mainly C17, incorporating C15 crosswing, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Two bay hall block aligned approximately north-south, aspect west, with internal chimney stack, early C17. C15 crosswing at south end, originally jettied to the front, now underbuilt. Three bay crosswing to the north, with central chimney stack, C17. Extension of one bay beyond south crosswing, C17, with external chimney stack at end. Long single storey lean-to extension on rear wall, C20. Two storeys with attic.
West elevation, ground floor, two double hung sash windows, one of twelve lights, one of nine lights, early C19, french window and bay of double-hung sash windows, C20. Long canopy, C20. First floor, one double-hung sash window of twenty lights, three of fifteen lights, early C19. Chimney stack in north crosswing has six grouped octagonal shafts, axial stack has four grouped diagonal shafts, south stack plain, all cement rendered. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled posts throughout. In south crosswing, joists of horizontal section, unchamfered, exhibiting pressure marks of former jetty, arch braces to central tiebeam, crownpost roof. Central crownpost is plain with one arch brace to collar-purlin, other missing, no side braces. Some evidence of twin doors on north side, indicating that originally this was the service crosswing of a medieval hall to the north. This has been completely replaced by the two storey hall range, with the chimney stack at the junction, against the front wall. Straight bracing trenched inside studs. Roof originally of queen strut construction, later rebuilt. There are no studs in the north frame, indicating that a north crosswing was present when the north-south range was built, although the present north crosswing is not contemporary. It has plain chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops, and a butt-purlin roof. The south extension has a clasped purlin roof.
In the C18 a timber parapet was added at the front of the house, with wooden guttering. One length of this survives, three boards nailed to form a trough, probably lined with lead originally. Later the front pitch of the roof was raised, using the top of the parapet as the new eaves level, so that the front pitch is less steep than the rear pitch. There is an early C17 stair in the north part of the house, the first floor flight original, the ground floor flight a C20 reproduction. It has a wide moulded handrail, closed string, square post with squared knob at the head, one heavy turned baluster to each tread and flat balusters at the attic floor. In the rear elevation there are four C17/18 casement windows with hardwood frames and leaded glass. Two of them have the original wrought iron casements on pintle hinges, two have replacement casements in wood.
Listing NGR: TL4998407948
Other nearby listed buildings