History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Herds Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in High Laver, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7612 / 51°45'40"N

Longitude: 0.1766 / 0°10'35"E

OS Eastings: 550312

OS Northings: 209185

OS Grid: TL503091

Mapcode National: GBR MG3.HH3

Mapcode Global: VHHM8.0ZQR

Entry Name: Herds Farmhouse

Listing Date: 28 February 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118105

Location: High Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: High Laver

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 50 NW HIGH LAVER THRESHERS BUSH
5/3 Herds Farmhouse
28.2.83
II

House, C15, extended in C19. Timber framed, lower walls weatherboarded, upper
walls plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises the 2-bay
crosswing of a medieval hall house, aligned approx. NE-SW, with inserted axial
chimney stack, c.1600, extended to NE by one bay in C19 with external chimney
stack at end. C19 extension to SE on the site of the medieval hall, with
chimney stack in end wall, now blocked off at roof level. 2 storeys. SW
elevation, 4-panel door under shallow hood, C19, 2 C20 casement windows on the
ground floor and 3 at first floor, gablet roof to crosswing. The SW end was
formerly jettied, and the wallplate of the lower wall, supporting the jetty, is
still present but concealed by plaster. On the SE side C20 doors each side of
the central wallpost appear to occupy the positions of the medieval twin service
doors, all evidence concealed by plaster. The upper NE wall of the crosswing
has been stripped of plaster, revealing 2 complete unglazed windows, each with 3
diamond mullions, now inside the C19 extension. Evidence of an unglazed window
in upper part of NW wall immediately NE of central post. Curved tension bracing
trenched outside studs reported. Inserted ceiling over sM upper room has axial
beam with lamb's tongue stops, C17. Roof was originally of crownpost
construction, but wholly rebuilt with softwood in clasped purlin form in C19.
Inserted chimney stack immediately NE of central tiebeam. All visible evidence,
and the arrangement of the site, indicate that this was the service crosswing of
a hall house of which the remainder has been demolished.


Listing NGR: TL5031209185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.