History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

383, Old Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Tendring, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8032 / 51°48'11"N

Longitude: 1.1547 / 1°9'16"E

OS Eastings: 617596

OS Northings: 216329

OS Grid: TM175163

Mapcode National: GBR TQS.YKH

Mapcode Global: VHLCY.YYT0

Entry Name: 383, Old Road

Listing Date: 4 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119882

Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Town: Tendring

Electoral Ward/Division: St Marys

Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Clacton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Little Clacton

Listing Text

CLACTON-ON-SEA OLD ROAD
TM 1716
GREAT CLACTON
(west side)
13/22 No. 383
SII
House. Circa 1679 with c.1840 facade and alterations. Timber framed, painted
brick facade, weatherboarded returns. Grey slate roof. Right and left red
brick chimney stacks. End pilasters. 2 storeys. 3 window range of small paned
vertically sliding sashes. Central doorway, moulded capitals and bases to
pilasters, frieze, flat canopy over. To left a C19 single storey extension with
a vertically boarded door and matching window used as a trap shed at one time
with stable and workshop forward left. This range with vertically boarded doors
and large window with 9 mullions, the glass of overlapping small panes. The
timber ridge louvre with finial and on its north face a carved greyhound from
the prow of the ship Greyhound, sunk off Clacton 1884. Former occupiers were
involved in smuggling and a raid by Customs and Excise men c.1832 is recorded.
Various articles in local newspapers and Essex Countryside.


Listing NGR: TM1759616329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.