This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9173 / 53°55'2"N
Longitude: -2.3175 / 2°19'2"W
OS Eastings: 379244
OS Northings: 446839
OS Grid: SD792468
Mapcode National: GBR DR84.2H
Mapcode Global: WH965.CSPT
Entry Name: Sawley Grange Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining to East
Listing Date: 27 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183476
Location: Sawley, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Sawley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Grindleton St Ambrose
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 74 NE SAWLEY A59
SD 792 468
3/157 Sawley Grange Farmhouse and
barn adjoining to east
House, c.1800 and mid C19th, with remains of aisled building probably
c.1500. Rubble, rendered at rear, with stone slate roof. Windows
have plain stone surrounds. The ground-floor window is sashed with
no glazing bars. On the 1st floor are 2 windows, the left-hand one
being of 3 lights with square mullions. At the right is a taller
extension of one bay, which has a door with plain stone surround at its
left. Chimney on gable at right (west) and between house and barn.
The barn has a slate roof. Towards the right is a wide entrance with
concrete lintel. At the left are doors and windows with plain reveals.
Interior has remains of aisled building, probably a barn. On the
ground floor the right-hand front aisle post is exposed. The left-hand
rear room has an exposed aisle post and aisle tie, and supports a main
joist spanning the former nave. On the 1st floor the right-hand truss
is partly visible through wallpaper. Both aisle posts have jowled
heads, the front one retaining its orace to the tie beam. The left-hand
front aisle post is exposed, together with part of the front aisle plate.
The principals of the left-hand truss remain in the loft space, with a
short king post rising from a collar. The right-hand truss has been
altered above tie beam level. Inside the barn 2 complete aisled trusses
are visible. One is in the dividing wall between house and barn. The
2nd is to the left of the wide entrance. Between them the aisle plates
and purlins have been removed. A redundant brace to an aisle plate
suggests that the aisled construction once continued further east.
Presumably the building was part of a grange of Sawley Abbey. Alterations
beginning shortly (1985) may reveal more of the timber structure.
Listing NGR: SD7924446839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings