This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0128 / 51°0'46"N
Longitude: -4.4252 / 4°25'30"W
OS Eastings: 229973
OS Northings: 126515
OS Grid: SS299265
Mapcode National: GBR K7.JGSP
Mapcode Global: FRA 16MF.MTW
Entry Name: Summerhouse in the Wilderness at Ss2997326515
Listing Date: 19 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91165
Location: Clovelly, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Clovelly
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clovelly All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 22 NE
SS 32 NW
CLOVELLY COURT PARK
Summerhouse in The Wilderness at SS2997326515
Summerhouse. Stone plaque on east walls inscribed: Built by Dame Diana Hamlyn 1820 Restored for Christine Hamlyn by friends and relations on her eightieth birthday 30 November 1935" further plaque: "Restored by A.W. H.G. in 1976 Non Fatuum Huc Perseculus Ignem". Coursed rubble walls, slate hung to south and west, low-pitched pyramidal slate roof with a large wooden cruciform finial. Small shaped wooden eaves cornice.
Plan: square on plan, built on the side of a steeply sloping hill with views out to sea; on south side an open verandah on a rubble plinth with stone sett pavement, roof over supported on four slender octagonal wooden columns. Gothick style. Single storey. Interior of a large single room.
Exterior: south elevation with central door and flanking two-light casements, overall an arcade of six-pointed arches, the door now missing and the windows and toplights with glazing missing. North elevation with a pointed-arch door opening with paired plank doors with Gothick cover moulds.
Interior: with plastered walls, tongue-and-groove boards to ceiling. Concrete floor renewed circa 1976. Set across three corners inside fixed wooden seats, set into two walls small cupboards in four-centred arch wooden surrounds, doors missing.
An unusual building, part of a romantic landscape created in a wooded valley on the edge of the sea.
Part of the landscaped park around Clovelly Court.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings