This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9913 / 51°59'28"N
Longitude: 0.5141 / 0°30'50"E
OS Eastings: 572715
OS Northings: 235519
OS Grid: TL727355
Mapcode National: GBR PGH.4ST
Mapcode Global: VHJHX.V6NT
Entry Name: Little Thatches
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114512
Location: Toppesfield, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Toppesfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Toppesfield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NW TOPPESFIELD MALLOWS LANE,
3/13 Little Thatches
Cottage, c.1600, extended in C19 and C20. Timber framed, partly plastered,
partly clad with red brick in Flemish bond, roof thatched. The original cottage
comprises 2 bays aligned NW-SE, with an external chimney stack at the SE end.
A bay was added to the SE in the C18, enclosing the stack, and in the C19 a
bay was added at the NW end, with an internal chimney tack, and the building
was divided into 2 cottages. C20 extension to NE of SE end. Aspect SW. Single
storey with attics. 2 C20 glazed doors and one boarded door, 4 C20 casement
windows. 2 eyebrow dormers, one with one C19 casement window, the other with
one C19 and one C20 casement window, one below the other. Roof hipped at NW
end. The interior of the original cottage has jowled posts, arched braces
trenched inside heavy studs, mortices for early glazed windows with grooves
for shutters, chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists
of horizontal section, clasped purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TL7271535519
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings