This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1545 / 52°9'16"N
Longitude: 0.1618 / 0°9'42"E
OS Eastings: 547991
OS Northings: 252892
OS Grid: TL479528
Mapcode National: GBR L7X.ZPB
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.R3DQ
Entry Name: Middlefield and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51608
Location: Stapleford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Stapleford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Stapleford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 45 SE STAPLEFORD HAVERHILL ROAD
(North West Side)
5/199 Garden Wall
House, 1908 by Lutyens for the legal scholar Henry Bond. Small,
narrow red brick with big, hipped roofs, tiled, and deep eaves,
part boarded on south side. Guttering enriched with acorn
inials. Three tall internal stalks, the outer ones having
recessed centre panels and all with moulded stone cornices to
entablatures. Symmetrical plan of single range having lower
flanking wings projecting as crosswings on the north side.
Lower adjoining service wings to the east. Two storeys and
attic. North elevation has two hipped dormers on either side of
one segmental dormer, all with leaded lights. Range of flush
frame hung sashes with half round moulded glazing bars and open
boxing. Pedimented central doorway with doorcase of pilasters
with pulvinated frieze. Above and forming a single composition
with the doorway is a larger, similar hung sash with a swept
surround and flanking pilasters. The crosswings have moulded
brick band and bulls eye windows with leaded lights. The south
side to the garden has two, two-storey canted bays flanking
three similar hung sashes, the ground floor ones in segmental
arches. Three hipped dormers in the roof, flanked by original
oval, glazed panels. The wings have one tripartite hung sash to
each storey except for the right hand wing which has a loggia.
Adjoining to the east is an original garden wall, shaped and in
three bays with part red brick piers and tiled coping.
Interior: Most of the details from the original house have
remained intact, including the fireplace surrounds on the ground
floor and the staircase with its turned balusters and large
single, twisted column as a stair pillar.
Weaver L: Houses and Gardens by E.L. Lutyens (p.232)
Hussey C: Life of Sir Edwin Lutyens
Pevsner: (Buildings of England) p.459
V.C.H: Vol VIII p.229
Listing NGR: TL4799152892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings