History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Augustine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Birdbrook, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0425 / 52°2'32"N

Longitude: 0.4871 / 0°29'13"E

OS Eastings: 570670

OS Northings: 241150

OS Grid: TL706411

Mapcode National: GBR PFP.XN4

Mapcode Global: VHJHJ.DXDM

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Augustine

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114091

Location: Birdbrook, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Birdbrook

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Birdbrook St Augustine of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Bumpstead

Listing Text

TL 74 SW BIRDBROOK THE STREET,
3/19 WEST SIDE
Parish Church of
21/6/62 St. Augustine
GV II*


Parish church. Chancel and Nave late Cll/early C12, altered in C13. S porch, N
vestry and general restoration, C19. Walls of stone, flint and pebble rubble
containing Roman brick and opus signum, dressings of limestone and clunch, roof
of handmade red clay tiles, bellcote weatherboarded, spire shingled. In the
E wall of the Chancel there are 3 tall lancet windows of the C13, with double-
chamfered and rebated jambs and moulded labels, restored; the rear-arches are
moulded and spring from detached circular shafts with moulded bases, bands and
bell-capitals. Outside, between the heads of the windows are 2 sunk
quatrefoiled panels, each carved with a human head, decayed. Another head is
mounted high in the gable, decayed. The N wall has many herringbone courses
of Roman brick. There are 3 windows; the 2 eastern are C13 lancets, restored,
with double-chamfered and rebated jambs. The western window is of the late
C14 and has the name 'Thomas Cersey' on the outside of the tracery in Lombardic
capitals; it is of 2 cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head,
the cusps of the quatrefoil having foliated grotesque points, with an external'
moulded label and head-stop. Outside, between the 2 lancets, alterations in
the rubble indicate the former presence of a low door with round head; the
infill includes much Roman brick and opus signum. Below the W window there
is another blocked aperture with C17/C18 brick quoins. Inside, below the
eastern window there is a disused fireplace with 3-centred arch. In the S wall
are 2 windows. The eastern is a lancet similar to those opposite, much restored
externally; the western window is similar to the C14 window opposite, much
restored. Between the windows is a C19 doorway. The Chancel arch is C19.
The Nave has been extended to the W by approx. 6 metres in the early C13. The
earlier part contains several herringbone courses of Roman brick. There are
3 windows. The easternmost is C19, except the internal splays and rear-arch,
C15; in the E splay part of the sill is carried down to a ledge with a small
embattled cornice. The second window is C19. The western window is a C13
lancet with chamfered and rebated jambs, blocked internally. W of the eastern
window, high in the wall, are the splays and round rear-arch of an Cll/early
C12 window, blocked and not visible externally. Between the 2 western windows
is the N doorway with jambs and 2-centred head of 2 chamfered orders, leading
into the C19 vestry. In the S wall there are 4 windows. The easternmost is
C19, except the internal splays and rear-arch, C15; the sill is carried down
to a stepped sill with a sexfoiled drain. The second window is C14, of 2
cinquefoiled ogee lights and a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head, restored. The
third is C19, except the splays and rear-arch, C14. The fourth is a lancet
similar to that opposite, also blocked internally. Between the first and second
windows, set high in the wall, is an Cll/early C12 window similar to that
opposite, also blocked externally. Between the second and third windows is
the late C13 S doorway, with a hollow-moulded 2-centred arch, label, and one
headstop, the other C20. Set in the wall above it externally is a boss with
deep foliate carving, C13, and to the E of it is a stoup with 4-centred head,
the jambs restored. In the W wall are 3 early C13 lancet windows, the middle
one higher than the others; below the northernmost is a small window of one
light with a V-head, date uncertain. Approx. 2.5 metres E of the W end is a
wall with a C15 arch, inserted to support the timber bellcote; the arch is 2-
centred, of 2 moulded orders, and the responds have semi-circular attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; there are C18 and C19 graffiti on the
W side. The roof of the Nave is early C15, in 5 bays, with high moulded
butt-purlins and moulded and crenellated collars, each truss stiffened with
moulded eaves-blades which terminate at the collar; the wallplates are moulded
and crenellated. This roof construction is described as 'unique' in Essex
(Hewett 1982, 29-30). In the S wall near the W end there is an early C13
piscina with chamfered jambs, 2-centred head and fluted drain. There are 3
bells, by Richard Bowler 1591, Peter Hawkes 1612, the third dated 1570. In the
SE corner of the Chancel there is the indent of a missing brass of a woman's
figure standing on canopied brackets, with marginal inscription and 4 shields,
late C14. In the Nave there are floor-slabs to James Walford, 1713 or 1743
(much worn), to Thomas Walford, 1756, and to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Walford,
1789, all of Whitley in the parish. In the W wall there is an inscription to
Martha Blewit, 1681, who was married 9 times, and to Robert Hogan, who was
married 7 times, the last in 1739. Outside immediately S of the Chancel, there
is a large stone slab with hollow-moulded edge, probably an altar. In the Nave,
a carved bench-end and moulded book-board, late C15, are incorporated in C19
seating.


Listing NGR: TL7067041150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.