This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6775 / 50°40'38"N
Longitude: -3.5913 / 3°35'28"W
OS Eastings: 287661
OS Northings: 87631
OS Grid: SX876876
Mapcode National: GBR QS.2LZ6
Mapcode Global: FRA 37C9.2NX
Entry Name: Rectory Cottage
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85437
Location: Dunchideock, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2
Civil Parish: Dunchideock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dunchideock St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
DUNCHIDEOCK BIDDYPARK LANE
SX 88 NE
3/20 Rectory Cottage
Rectory, now divided into 2 cottages. Probably early C15 (Register of Bishop
Stafford) with substantial alterations of the 1960s. Dressed Heavitree brecchia and
volcanic trap; slate roof, gabled at ends; end stacks, front lateral stack (shaft
Although the interior was modernized in the 1960s, ground plans published in 1957
show a 3 room and through passage arrangement, the heated lower end to the right, the
hall heated by the front lateral stack with a heated inner room to the left with a
front stair projection containing a winder stair. Front left and right garderobe
projections. The high status of the medieval building is still evident in the
architectural detail. A terrier of 1679 refers to a 2-storey detached cob kitchen
which had apparently disappeared by 1728.
2 storeys. Irregular 4 window front with narrow, shallow gardrobe projections on the
extreme left and right; arched moulded doorway to former passage to right of centre
with stone voussoirs; front lateral stack to left of doorway with adjoining corbelled
flue for first floor fireplace (shaft dismantled). To the left of the stack a modern
doorway has been inserted, partly blocking the remains of the stone medieval hall
window, which had 2 cinquefoil-headed lights in a square frame. To the left of the
window the remains of the inner room stair turret survives as a single-storey
projection. To the right of the passage doorway an original 1-light stone window in
a moulded frame may be a stair window to a former lower end stair. A C20 copy of
this window has been inserted to the left of the passage doorway. 4 C20 2-light
first floor casements. The rear elevation has C20 fenestration but the blocked
arches of 3 original ground floor windows survive. On the rear wall of the hall a
blocked opening with a high set arch with voussoirs may be the remains of the rear
hall window. 1-light, 2-centred first floor windows on right and left returns.
Interior: thoroughly modernized with new partitions and a new roof structure. The
arched moulded garderobe doorways survive, the left hand garderobe doorway rebated
with hinges. The inner room fireplace has a C20 grate but a cranked relieving arch
survives above an old moulded stone lintel and jambs.
The 1957 description details moulded cross beams and an arched brace roof.
Pantin, W.A., "Medieval Priest's Houses", Medieval Archaeology, 1 (1957) pp 126-127.
Listing NGR: SX8766487630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings