This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.603 / 52°36'10"N
Longitude: -0.3089 / 0°18'32"W
OS Eastings: 514624
OS Northings: 301916
OS Grid: TF146019
Mapcode National: GBR GXX.STX
Mapcode Global: WHHNB.7T5W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50127
Location: Marholm, Peterborough, PE6
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Marholm
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Marholm St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 MARHOLM CHURCH WALK
Church of St Mary
TF 10 SW 10/340 15.12.55
C12 and C13 church with C15 and C16 alterations and additions. Nave with
Perpendicular clerestory windows and moulded ashlar parapet. C19 (externally)
north and south aisles and C19 south porch. Large Perpendicular chancel
rebuilt in 1534 by Sir William Fitzwilliam of Milton (Sherrif of Northamptonshire
in 1524) with battlements, large angle buttresses and 4-light Perpendicular north
and south windows and 5-light Perpendicular east window and 4 centred arch
south doorway. Ashlar south wall of chancel, north and east walls rendered.
Squat Norman west tower in 3 steps with clasping buttresses, battlements
and pinnacles and with pyramidal Collyweston stone roof and slit lancet
bell openings. The tower is ashlar and the remainder of church stone rubble.
Interior: Round single stepped tower arch with crocketed capitals to the
responds. C13 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches and quatrefoil
section piers and similar C13 dormer arch. Octagonal font probably C17
with rose and leaf spray on each face.
Monuments: circa 1400 recumbent effigy of knight on largely C19 tomb chest.
Monument to Sir William Fitzwilliam 1534 with tomb chest with canopy on
colonnettes and ogee arches, and with brasses against the back wall. Sir
William Fitzwilliam 1599, 2 recumbent effigies.
Edward Hunter alias (Perry) 1646 with bust of boy over cartouche with flanking
plinth and with obelisk behind and an inscription below.
William First Earl Fitzwilliam 1719 and wife by James Fisher of Camberwell -
standing figures, Corinthian columns and open segmental pediment.
Veil Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF1462401916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings