History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn Circa 75 Metres North of Whinneyclough Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.848 / 53°50'52"N

Longitude: -2.6562 / 2°39'22"W

OS Eastings: 356927

OS Northings: 439278

OS Grid: SD569392

Mapcode National: GBR 9RWY.RC

Mapcode Global: WH96D.5JFY

Entry Name: Barn Circa 75 Metres North of Whinneyclough Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185915

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Inglewhite

Listing Text

SD 53 NE
5/68

GOOSNARGH
INGLEWHITE ROAD (off)
Barn c.75 metres north of Whinneyclough Farmhouse

11.11.1966

II*
Barn, dated 1639 on lintel of door to south end, with various additions. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof, gable coping with kneelers,finials at south end. Rectangular 6-bay plan, with lean-to additions to the east side wall (front), modern farm building attached to west side; chamfered looplight breathers (on 5 levels in north gable, but mostly covered at sides); offset left of centre a porch to the wagon doors under carried down roof, left of this a lean-to addition mostly covering a mullioned window at 1st floor, right of the porch a long lean-to addition, and at the left end a Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround and panel on the lintel with raised lettering B (= Robert Bamber). R A 1639.
South gable mostly covered by addition; north gable has 3 chamfered doorways, the centre and left altered as windows, a square loading door to the loft.
Interior: large principal rafter roof trusses with angle struts and 3 pairs of trenched purlins; splayed reveals to breathers; various altered or blocked openings at south end, which probably had an upper floor, but function not known.

History: Whinnyclough purchased in 1637 by John Bamber of Poulton-le-Fylde, merchant. Architecturally, the best barn in this parish.


Listing NGR: SD5692739278

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.