History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kates Cabin

A Grade II Listed Building in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5471 / 52°32'49"N

Longitude: -0.3344 / 0°20'3"W

OS Eastings: 513043

OS Northings: 295663

OS Grid: TL130956

Mapcode National: GBR GYN.69B

Mapcode Global: VHGKV.572Q

Entry Name: Kates Cabin

Listing Date: 16 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54832

Location: Chesterton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Chesterton

Built-Up Area: Peterborough

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Chesterton

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Alwalton

Listing Text

CHESTERTON GREAT NORTH ROAD
TL 1295
(West Side)
13/24 Kates Cabin
II
Farmhouse, formerly an inn. Dated 1819 on plaque, later additions and
alterations. Painted brick; Collyweston stone slated roofs and Welsh slated
roof. Two ridge stacks to front range and rear range, and gable end stack to
right hand, of gault brick with stepped cornices and two with divided stack.
Two storeys, double pile plan with front range of three 'bays' extended to
north. Panelled door to left of centre with flat canopy supported on shaped
brackets; two niches with rounded heads on either side and recessed boot
scraper. Plaque above door, lozenge shaped with scalloped decoration and 'IW,
1819' inscribed and painted black. Large square-planned bay window to left
hand and one recessed hung sash window and one casement window to right hand
both with cambered brick arches; boarded door to extension. Three first
floor recessed hung sash windows also with cambered brick arches. Sawtooth
brick eaves cornice. Kates Cabin, formerly The Dryden's Head Inn, had an inn
sign of the poet's head reputed to have been painted by Bearley.

Sale catalogue. 1913 HRO
Inskip Ladds Collection. Norris Museum, St Ives.


Listing NGR: TL1304395663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.