History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lovely Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Salesbury, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7972 / 53°47'49"N

Longitude: -2.4896 / 2°29'22"W

OS Eastings: 367850

OS Northings: 433542

OS Grid: SD678335

Mapcode National: GBR CS1J.TK

Mapcode Global: WH96N.QTPC

Entry Name: Lovely Hall

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317677

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183533

Location: Salesbury, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB1

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Salesbury

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Salesbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Langho

Listing Text

SALESBURY LOVELY HALL LANE
SD 63 SE
5/48 Lovely Hall
27-8-1952
GV II
House, c.1600, altered 1735 and 1874. Sandstone rubble with stone slate
roof. Original house has projecting cross wings at each side of recessed
central range. 2 storeys. Facade has band below parapet with urns,
continued as gable copings to cross-wings, added in 1735. Left-hand cross-
wing has 10-light mullioned and transomed window, hollow-chamfered with
outer chamfer and hood. On the 1st floor are 2 sashed windows with no
glazing bars. Central range of 3 bays has 8-light windows on the ground
floor similar to that of the cross-wing. On the 1st floor are sashed
windows with no glazing bars. In the central bay is a single-storey porch
with a parapet stepped up over a shaped door lintel, above which is a
plaque inscribed: 'LGNS 1874'. To each side of the porch is a lead
downspout with hopper head inscribed: 'IWT 1735'. The right-hand
cross-wing has a 2-storey mullioned and transomed canted bay window of
1874. To its right is a gabled addition of 1874 in a similar style, with a
10-light mullioned and transomed window on each floor. Chimneys on ridge
of left-hand cross-wing, to right of porch, and to right of right-hand
cross-wing. Inside, the door opens against a fireplace dated 1874, but
retaining part of a stone arch dated 1712 or 1713. No other exposed
features of architectural interest were visible at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SD6785033542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.