History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Conduit Mouth Approx. 45 Metres North of Ashton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurnham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.0095 / 54°0'34"N

Longitude: -2.8232 / 2°49'23"W

OS Eastings: 346147

OS Northings: 457361

OS Grid: SD461573

Mapcode National: GBR 8QQ2.LG

Mapcode Global: WH84D.LHT4

Entry Name: Conduit Mouth Approx. 45 Metres North of Ashton Hall

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Last Amended: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317723

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182261

Location: Thurnham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Thurnham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Glasson Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


8/196 Conduit mouth approx. 45 metres
north of Ashton Hall
(Formerly listed with Ashton
1-8-1952 Hall as arch forming
entrance of the beck to
the fish pond under


Conduit mouth, 1858, re-using some dressings of c.1600. Squared sandstone
blocks. Comprises a stone-lined circular shaft with low coping and iron
railings. The walls are carried over a stream by low bridges with segmental
arches. On the east side the ground level is lower. Set above the bridge,
facing east and flanked by retaining walls, is the upper part of the
frontispiece removed from Ashton Hall (q.v.) during C19th rebuilding. It has
2 sets of paired Ionic columns on decorated pedestals supporting an
entablature with decorated frieze. Above is a decorative gable and ball
finials, now overgrown by ivy and difficult to distingush. Between the
columns is an architrave with round head, carved keystone, and impost blocks.
It new frames a plaque inscribed: 'These remains were removed from the
Old Hall AD 1858'. A drawing by John Weld, in the Lancashire Record Office
(DP/386), shows the house from the west in 1835, including the frontispiece.

Listing NGR: SD4614757361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.