History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastern Farm Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Roeburndale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0854 / 54°5'7"N

Longitude: -2.5917 / 2°35'30"W

OS Eastings: 361390

OS Northings: 465657

OS Grid: SD613656

Mapcode National: GBR BPB6.P8

Mapcode Global: WH958.5K3Y

Entry Name: Eastern Farm Building

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317729

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182600

Location: Roeburndale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Roeburndale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wray Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hornby

Listing Text

SD 66 NW ROEBURNDALE OUTHWAITE


2/64 Eastern farm building,
4-10-1967 known as the 'Jail' (formerly listed as
Shippon at Authwaite)
GV II

Former house, now used to house cattle, 1652, altered. Sandstone rubble
with stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Continuous drip course, except on west
gable wall. North wall has a blocked rebated and chamfered window at the
right and a blocked chamfered window above on the 1st floor. To the left
the drip course rises over the former position of the main doorway. At the
left of the facade is a door with plain reveals. To its right is the
re-set C17th doorway, now blocked. It has a moulded surround with a lintel
inscribed: 'ITM 1652 IC'. The east gable wall has blocked rebated and
chamfered mullioned windows. On the ground floor is one formerly of 4
lights. Above is one once of 3 lights, now with an inserted pitching hole.
Above is a one-light attic window. The south wall also has rebated and
chamfered mullioned windows, all altered to some extent. On the ground
floor are 3. On the 1st floor are 2, blocked, with a pitching door between
them. To the right of the 2nd ground-floor window is a narrow blocked
doorway with stone surround. The west gable wall has been partly rebuilt
and contains 2 shippon doorways. Interior has softwood 1st floor. The 3
roof trusses are of hardwood and appear to be original, although repaired.


Listing NGR: SD6139065657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.