History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Horton Hall and Barn Adjoining to South West

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9501 / 53°57'0"N

Longitude: -2.2268 / 2°13'36"W

OS Eastings: 385212

OS Northings: 450467

OS Grid: SD852504

Mapcode National: GBR DQWR.PR

Mapcode Global: WHB74.RZT5

Entry Name: Horton Hall and Barn Adjoining to South West

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Last Amended: 27 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317730

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183397

Location: Horton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BD23

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Horton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Gisburn St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Gisburn

Listing Text

SD 85 SE HORTON

SD 852 504
2/78 Horton Hall and barn adjoining to south-
west (Horton Hall formerly listed)
16-11-1954
- II*

House, probably early C17th. Rubble, mainly sandstone, with
sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. 2 storeys, with 2 bays to
left of gabled porch and one bay to right. Windows mullioned, with
worn surrounds having inner hollow chamfer and outer chamfer. Those
on the ground floor have hoods. To the left are windows of 4 and 5
lights on the ground floor, and 3 and 2 lights on the 1st floor. To
the right is one of 4 lights on the ground floor and 3 lights on the
1st floor. The 1st floor of the porch oversails on a moulded string
and has a stepped 3-light window with hood. The door has a chamfered
surround with flat lintel curved at the corners. Chimneys to right of
porch, between bays 1 and 2, and at left. The barn at the left has
a wide entrance with long-and-short jambs. The segmental arch has a
keystone inscribed: 'WHM 1825'. At the left is a door with plain
stone surround now blocked to form a window. Interior of house. The
left-hand room has a wide chamfered fireplace with segmental arch. It
has springers for flanking door arches, now missing. Set into its
left-hand side is a large brick-lined oven. This room has exposed
chamfered and stopped main joists. Inside the porch are large exposed
common joists with deeply-cut roll mouldings. The inner porch doorway
is moulded with Tudor-arched head.


Listing NGR: SD8521250467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.