History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quernmore Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Quernmore, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0586 / 54°3'30"N

Longitude: -2.7401 / 2°44'24"W

OS Eastings: 351652

OS Northings: 462767

OS Grid: SD516627

Mapcode National: GBR 9P9H.LV

Mapcode Global: WH847.W7CY

Entry Name: Quernmore Park

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 7 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182240

Location: Quernmore, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Quernmore

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Bolton le Sands

Listing Text

SD 56 NW QUERNMORE

5/176 Quernmore Park
(Formerly listed as Quernmore
4-10-1967 Park, Hall)

- II*

Country house, 1795-8, probably by Thomas Harrison, remodelled by Alexander
Mills in 1842. Sandstone ashlar with hipped slate roof. A symmetrical
composition with a main block linked to pavilions set back on each side. Main
block of 3 storeys, and 5 bays on north, south and east sides. Windows sashed
with glazing bars and plain ashlar reveals. 1st floor sill band. Cornice
with blocking course. East front has tetrastyle Ionic portico added by Mills.
Links each of one storey and 3 bays, with blank niches over the windows, which
are sashed with glazing bars, except for the middle window of the north link
which is now unglazed. The pavilions are of one bay and 2 storeys each and
have pedimented gables and 1st floor sill bands. Their ground-floor windows
are tripartite with baseless Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion
has sashed windows Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion has
sashed windows, the 1st floor sill now lowered. The northern pavilion, in a
derelict condition, has sashed windows with glazing bars. Inside, Mills
created a 2-storey central hall with Grecian plasterwork. On the ground floor
are pilasters, above are columns and pilasters, and openings to a landing.
Above is a lantern and coved ceiling. Drawings of proposed alterations by
Mills are in the Lancashire Record Office.


Listing NGR: SD5165262767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.