This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2056 / 52°12'20"N
Longitude: 0.4011 / 0°24'3"E
OS Eastings: 564168
OS Northings: 259092
OS Grid: TL641590
Mapcode National: GBR NBB.L76
Mapcode Global: VHJGP.WTWK
Entry Name: Stetchworth House
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49245
Location: Stetchworth, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Stetchworth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Stetchworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 65 NW STETCHWORTH STETCHWORTH PARK
6/166 Stetchworth House
Small country house. Built by Richard Eaton, c.1786, altered 1870.
Stuccoed brick, slated roofs. Three storeys with basements, symmetrical
double pile plan. Parapet shaped to side stacks and pedimented to
north-east elevation. Deep moulded cornice, band at first floor and
plinth. Five 'bays', central three 'bays' slightly project. Five
second floor and first floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows.
Four eighteen-paned hung sash windows at ground floor. Original
doorway and first floor window in shallow round arched recess, partly
masked by large late C19 closed porch with corner pilasters and
entablature surmounted by urns. Three, panelled double doors, half-
glazed entrance doors. Low wings with balustraded parapet to right
and left hand, rebuilt from original service wing and conservatory.
Interior (not seen 1983) has geometric planned open string staircase,
six panelled doors with moulded architraves and over doors with
enriched friezes and cornices. C18 panelling to ground floor rooms.
Drawing room chimney piece white panelled, dining room chimney piece
Ionic grey marble. Stable block and house alterations attributed to
Sir Roger Palmer.
RCHM (Cambs notes) 1953.
VCH, Vol. VI, p174.
Listing NGR: TL6416859092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings