This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8106 / 50°48'38"N
Longitude: -4.3533 / 4°21'11"W
OS Eastings: 234300
OS Northings: 103872
OS Grid: SS343038
Mapcode National: GBR KB.Y909
Mapcode Global: FRA 16RY.KV6
Entry Name: Manor Offices
Listing Date: 18 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91943
Location: Holsworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Holsworthy
Built-Up Area: Holsworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holsworthy St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS3403 HOLSWORTHY CP NORTH ROAD (West side)
16/39 Manor Offices
Council offices and museum, formerly rectory. Late C18 altered mid C20. Render grooved as ashlar, random rubble service wing, shallow pitch asbestos slate roof to main elevation, boxed eaves on facade, external stacks gable ends cut off below apex of roof, hipped stair case block to rear. T-plan, double fronted block with central corridor leading to stairhall with long service wing behind. 2 storeys, 3 bays; first floor 12-pane sash windows, ground floor French windows with marginal glazing bars, left hand window partly blocked, central Doric porch with reproduction door of 6 raised and fielded panels, rectangular light above with diamond pane. Right return fronting carpark: gable end with French windows flanking chimney projection, no marginal glazing bars but original internal shutters. Stair block: first floor 16-pane sash window,French window with marginal glazing bars below, two 12-pane sashes above in cross gable of service
wing 4-light casement below, long range with two 2-light casements. Interior: remains of C18 raised and fielded panelling, door and dentil moulded cornice now in corrridor adjoining stairwell, turned balusters, moulded handrail swept up to newels, late C19 coloured glass to stairlight window, and short flight of stairs on first floor flanked by balusters swept back around newels; this room not seen. The rectory garden formerly contained The Labyrinth, a maze covering half an acre with a tree and seat in the centre. Laid out by Viscount Mahon in 1821, it was generally considered to be the only feature of interest for the visitor to Holsworthy until its destruction in the early C20. The site is now a carpark. The rectory was sold by the Church Commissioners to the District Council in 1947. (Leeson Day, Holsworthy, Devonshire Association Parochial Histories, 1934.)
Listing NGR: SS3430003872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings