History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cockerham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9601 / 53°57'36"N

Longitude: -2.8206 / 2°49'14"W

OS Eastings: 346256

OS Northings: 451864

OS Grid: SD462518

Mapcode National: GBR 8QRN.45

Mapcode Global: WH84L.NQ2J

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317937

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182131

Location: Cockerham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Cockerham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Cockerham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Cockerham

Listing Text

SD 45 SE COCKERHAM

12/58 Church of St. Michael
2.5.1968

GV II*

Church, 1910 by Austin & Paley, with C16th west tower ('1589' said to be
inscribed on beam from tower). Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar tower and
slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave with clearstorey and a chancel
under a continuous roof, north and south aisles, and south transept with
vestry. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a stair turret on the
south side, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of 3 pointed
lights under a Tudor-arched head with hood. The west window is similar. The
west doorway has a round arch, hollow chamfered in 2 orders. The aisle and
clearestory windows have flat heads and cusped lights. On the south side the
aisle and clearstorey each have 4 2-light windows, the 2 western aisle windows
being paired. On the north side there are 4 nave bays with similar windows.
The western bay of the chancel is aisled and has a 3-light window. Its
eastern bay has a 6-light mullioned and transomed window. The doorway, in the
western nave bay, has a porch-like ashlar surround of shallow projection and
is moulded with pointed head and hood. The east window, flanked by buttresses
with offsets, has 4 cusped lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular
tracery and ogee quatrefoils. Interior has 5-bay nave arcades with pointed
arches hollow-chamfered in 2 orders and piers with 8 sides, 4 concave on plan,
and no capitals. The tower opening has plain reveals and a high pointed arch.
Between nave and chancel there is no arch, but the piers are round. Above
them attached shafts on corbels support the roof truss. The 2 bays of the
chancel arcades have a round pier with capital on the north and a pier with 4
of its 8 sides ovolo-moulded to the south. The piscina and twin sedilia have
depressed ogee heads. The roof trusses have braced tie beams, queen posts,
and raking queen struts. Intermediate trusses have arch-braced collars. Wall
tablets re-set from the previous church include one in the gothic style to
James Clarke (d.1845) by F. Webster of Kendal, and the Creed and Lord's
prayer in an elaborate gothic frame. The east window contains figures of the
4 evangelists dating from 1865.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.