This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7814 / 53°46'52"N
Longitude: -2.8886 / 2°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 341547
OS Northings: 432037
OS Grid: SD415320
Mapcode National: GBR 8S8Q.F7
Mapcode Global: WH85J.L6QZ
Entry Name: Grammar School (Front Range Only)
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183604
Location: Kirkham, Fylde, Lancashire, PR4
Civil Parish: Kirkham
Built-Up Area: Kirkham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Kirkham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
KIRKHAM RIBBY ROAD
SD 43 SW
9/34 Grammar School (front range
Grammar school and headmaster's house, 1909-11 by F.H. Greenaway of London.
Rendered brickwork above a brick plinth, sandstone dressings and green
slate roofs. A long, roughly symmetrical building in Free Style with C17
antecedents with a picturesque grouping of gables, bays and tall chimney
stacks. 2 storeys. Headmaster's house on left has a central gable with a
two-storey canted bay window to the left of the door. Central block is
recessed, with gables at either end, a central porch which breaks forward
slightly in line with a square clock cupola placed like a louvre on the
roof. To the right the hall roof rises to full height and breaks forward
at right angles, presenting a wide gable over a tall canted bay window with
a battlemented top. To the right again is a single storey office block
with a central gable. All windows have mullions and transomes. Detailing
is simple, but openings are chamfered and the hall gable is coped.
Interior: Hall of 6 bays, ceiled above the collar of archbraced roof.
Simple panelling. Canted bay to south, 5-light window to north. History:
The school was founded in the town in 1549 and moved to present site in
1911. The use of a London architect is explained by the School's
connection with the Drapers' Company.
Listing NGR: SD4154732037
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings