History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Derham House with Gas Lamp Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Nether Wyresdale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9743 / 53°58'27"N

Longitude: -2.7342 / 2°44'3"W

OS Eastings: 351939

OS Northings: 453381

OS Grid: SD519533

Mapcode National: GBR 9QBH.V2

Mapcode Global: WH84M.ZC5M

Entry Name: Derham House with Gas Lamp Attached

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185569

Location: Nether Wyresdale, Wyre, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Nether Wyresdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Dolphinholme St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Shireshead

Listing Text

NETHER WYRESDALE WAGON ROAD
SD 55 SW
2/175 Lower Dolphinholme
17-4-1967
No.2 (Derham House) with gas lamp
attached
GV II
House, c.1800. Sandstone rubble with tile roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Windows
sashed with glazing bars and stone surrounds. Door, in central bay, has
doorcase of 2 attached Doric columns. Roof hipped at right. Chimneys to
left and set back to right. Right-hand return wall has large tripartite
window, sashed with glazing bars and with plain stone surround and
flat-faced mullions. On the 1st floor are 2 sashed windows with glazing
bars and plain stone surrounds. Attached to the northern corner of the
building is a gas lamp on an iron bracket, restored to working order in
1984. Derham House was occupied by the manager of Dolphinholme worsted
spinning mill. Gas lighting was installed in the mill in 1811 and also
used to light the village street, making Dolphinholme one of the first
villages to be lit by gas.


Listing NGR: SD5193953381

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.