This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7314 / 50°43'53"N
Longitude: -3.1544 / 3°9'15"W
OS Eastings: 318625
OS Northings: 93057
OS Grid: SY186930
Mapcode National: GBR PB.KKTC
Mapcode Global: FRA 4784.YPY
Entry Name: Wiscombe Park
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88802
Location: Southleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX24
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Southleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Southleigh St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 SE SOUTHLEIGH
5/130 Wiscombe Park
Country house. 1826 by J. Power of Colyton with some internal modernisation of
circa 1880. Plastered local stone rubble with Beerstone ashlar detail; stone rubble
stacks with Beerstone ashlar octagonal divided chimneyshafts and moulded coping;
Plan: U-plan building. The main block faces south-east. It is double depth under
parallel roofs. In the centre is a large entrance hall and main staircase to rear.
The principal rooms are those to left with the large principal parlour on the front.
To right is the dining room with the kitchen behind and behind that a service wing
projects at right angles. A large billiard room projects at right angles to rear of
the left end with a conservatory on the outer (south-western) side. Most of the
rooms are heated by a series of axial and gable-end stacks. Mostly 2 storeys with
attics; the billiard room is single storey. Gothick style.
Exterior: symmetrical 5-window front. The tall windows are 2-lights with cusped
cinquefoil heads under Tudor-style hoodmoulds. They contain narrow sash windows,
the first floor ones with glazing bars. The central doorway contains double doors
with Gothick panelling under a 2-centred arch fanlight with Y-tracery glazing bars.
The porch is Beerstone ashlar. Its gabled roof is supported on pairs of clustered
pilaster columns with moulded caps under a frieze of quatrefoil panels. The coping
is embattled, there is an apex cross and the arch is cusped. Each end corner of the
main block has set back buttresses with weathered offsets. There is a Beerstone
ashlar parapet with Gothic pinnacles each end. There is a similar parapet to rear
of the main block and round the billiard room block. Both front block roofs are
gable-ended with coping and at the front there are 3 gabled dormers with shaped
bargeboards. The left end of the main block has a 3-window front of a similar
Gothic windows to the front. The billiard room block has a semi-octagonal end and
is lit mostly through a cupola. The conservatory has been partly rebuilt but its
tile floor is C19. At the back of the main block is a large arch-headed window
lighting the stairs. It contains a kind of early Decorated style tracery and
contains stained glass. The rear service block is unembellished and its windows are
mostly plain 16-pane sashes.
Interior: contains a great deal of original and late C19 joinery and other detail.
The stair hall is most impressive lit through the large stained glass window. The
large open well stair has an open string, slender turned balusters and curtail step.
The front parlour contains a large and ornate chimneypiece of Italian marble
featuring carved heads representing the Seasons and it is complete with brass lamp
holders. This chimneypiece was exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851 according
to the owner.
Wiscombe is a Domesday manor and belonged to the Bonvill family in the C13.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY1862593057
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings