This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.22 / 52°13'11"N
Longitude: 0.4649 / 0°27'53"E
OS Eastings: 568475
OS Northings: 260838
OS Grid: TL684608
Mapcode National: GBR PCJ.Y2N
Mapcode Global: VHJGR.0GMH
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and the Holy Ghost in Heaven
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Last Amended: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49148
Location: Cheveley, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Cheveley
Built-Up Area: Cheveley
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cheveley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 66 SE CHEVELEY HIGH STREET
3/64 Parish Church of
19.8.59 St Mary and the
Holy Ghost in Heaven
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
Parish church. Early C14, cruciform plan, upper stage of tower
and belfry stair turret late C14, early C15. South porch C15.
Flint with limestone and clunch dressings and interior details.
Plain tile gable parapetted roofs. Clasping buttresses to transepts,
angle buttresses to west gable end and chancel. Chancel with two-
light traceried windows in two-centred arches with sealed lancet
window in north wall. South transept one three-light window,
polygonal stair turret rises above plain parapet of octagonal belfry
above square tower. Two-light belfry window with quatrefoil. Two
nave windows of three, trefoiled-lights in two-centred arches.
South porch has niche above two-centre arched opening with attached
shafts and moulded capitals and bases. Label with head stops.
Interior. Fine early C14 crossing with three attached columns to
each jamb with deeply moulded capitals and bases; steep, chamfered
two-centred arches. Wooden quadrapartite vault with tracery. Nave,
transepts, and chancel roofs C15, possibly partly restored, with
embattled decoration, pierced spandrels to tie beams, and carved
angels in each bay to chancel. Nave roof arch braced. Crossing
piers with carved brackets for statues or candles, late C14: Two
tomb recesses in south transept. Piscina and wide sedelia or Easter
sepulchre in chancel. Piscina in north transept and lancet window
in east wall. Font, octagonal C15 with painted panels. Screen
late C14 or early C15 restored with single traceried lights, centre
doorway ogee-headed. Monuments, in chancel to Symon Folkes, d.1642,
kneeling figure with columns and open pediment, in north transept
to Martin Folkes, d.1828, by Parkinson, Newmarket. Stained glass
in chancel by Kempe. Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.319.
Listing NGR: TL6847560838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings