History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Assheton Arms

A Grade II Listed Building in Downham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8946 / 53°53'40"N

Longitude: -2.329 / 2°19'44"W

OS Eastings: 378475

OS Northings: 444322

OS Grid: SD784443

Mapcode National: GBR DR5D.KM

Mapcode Global: WH96C.6C6N

Entry Name: Assheton Arms

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183336

Location: Downham, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Downham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Downham St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Sawley

Listing Text

SD 78 44 DOWNHAM DOWNHAM VILLAGE

13/17 Assheton Arms
13.2.1967
GV II

Public house, 1765. Squared coursed limestone with stone slate roof. 2
storeys, 4 bays. Windows sashed with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds.
Those to bay 3 are tripartite with square mullions. The left-hand bay was
formerly a stable, and its windows appear to be modern but in keeping. A
door at the left has a plain stone surround. The main door is between bays
3 and 4 and has a plain stone surround with open pediment hood on shaped
brackets. Chimneys between bays one and 2, 2 and 3, and on right-hand
gable. The interior has a stone fireplace with moulded cornice mantel and
a lintel with fluted false key inscribed 'IBS 1765'. Adjoining to the
south, and now used as a dining room, are former cottages. They are
probably mid C19th with C17th remains and are of limestone rubble with
sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. The south facade is of 2 storeys
and 3 bays and has sashed windows with glazing bars and plain stone
surrounds. The doors, with plain stone surrounds, are to the left of the
2nd bay and to the left of the right-hand bay. To the left of the right-
hand door is a straight joint. The part of the building to its left has
the remains of window surrounds of C17th type. Chimneys to right of 2nd bay
and on right-hand gable. The left-hand gable, facing west, has a sashed
window with glazing bars and plain stone surround on the 1st floor.


Listing NGR: SD7847544322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.