This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4891 / 53°29'20"N
Longitude: -2.4693 / 2°28'9"W
OS Eastings: 368958
OS Northings: 399261
OS Grid: SJ689992
Mapcode National: GBR CX62.6Y
Mapcode Global: WH987.1KFH
Entry Name: Morley's Hall
Listing Date: 18 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213522
Location: Wigan, M29
Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Mosley Common
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Astley St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
TYLDESLEY MORLEY'S LANE
SJ 69 NE
6/53 Morley's Hall
2 houses. Largely C19 but incorporating some C16 and C17
timber-framing. Brick with slate and graduated stone slate
roof. U-shaped range of various builds and dates. The front
is of 4 bays with wings projecting to either side. Generally
the left hand house is later; it uses Flemish bond brick and
includes a symmetrically-fronted house with central door
with fanlight and impost capitals, two 3-light transomed
casement windows with flat brick arches and stone sills on
each floor, and gable chimney stacks. The bay to its left
includes an unusually wide cambered brick arch over a
window. The right-hand house includes the earlier work.
Generally it has a lower and steeper roof and is in English
garden wall bond brick. Earlier stone walling at rear and in
gable of wing. A door at the angle is flanked to left by a
3-light window (as above) with a cambered brick arch on each
floor. Similar door and windows to wing. The rear, part of
which is pebble-dashed, has various casement windows. Ridge
chimney stacks. Interior: much of the timber- framing and
floor beams with double-stepped stops remain. Posts in bay 4
rise to carry 2 heavily moulded-cambered tie-beam roof
trusses one of which has a carved rosette on the underside.
Both formerly had arch braces and formed a feature of a
former open hall. The braces were removed when a floor was
inserted. Moated site, formerly the home of the Tyldesleys,
later a meeting place for recusants and in 1641 the home of
Ambrose Barlow. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.
N.G. Philip, Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire,
Listing NGR: SJ6895899261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings