History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Easby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3991 / 54°23'56"N

Longitude: -1.7133 / 1°42'47"W

OS Eastings: 418711

OS Northings: 500439

OS Grid: NZ187004

Mapcode National: GBR JKGK.WT

Mapcode Global: WHC6D.NPBG

Entry Name: Almshouses

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 6 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318261

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322115

Location: Easby, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Easby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Easby

Listing Text

EASBY EASBY
NZ 10 SE

4/49 Almshouses
(formerly listed as
4.2.69 Smith's Hospital)
(Two dwellings)

GV II

4 almshouses, now one house. Dated 1732, altered 1816. For Rev William
Smith. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. Single
storey,4 cells. Chamfered plinth. Chamfered rusticated quoins. In second
and fifth bays, board doors in ashlar surrounds. 2-light flat-faced mullion
windows in ashlar surrounds. Cavetto cornice. Shaped kneelers, ashlar
copings. Corniced ashlar stacks at ends and in centre. In centre of front
wall, architraved panel inscribed "THIS HOSPITAL was Founded and Endowed by
d
WILLIAM SMITH RECTOR OF MELSONBY in the 82 year of his age Anno Domini
1732". The Hospital was founded for 4 poor persons, including the
schoolmaster, each door giving entry to 2 cells, one on either side. In
1818 the Hospital was repaired and altered to house 2 inmates, one of them
the parish clerk and schoolmaster. VCH i, p 64. White, History, Gazetteer
& Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire (1840), p 643.


Listing NGR: NZ1871100439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.