History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Scorton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3972 / 54°23'49"N

Longitude: -1.6151 / 1°36'54"W

OS Eastings: 425088

OS Northings: 500256

OS Grid: NZ250002

Mapcode National: GBR KK5L.4H

Mapcode Global: WHC6G.5Q5X

Entry Name: Grammar School

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318290

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322374

Location: Scorton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Scorton

Built-Up Area: Scorton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Scorton

Listing Text

SCORTON THE GREEN
NZ 20 SE
(north side)
7/61 Grammar School
4.2.69
GV II

School. 1760. For Rev John Noble. Brick, pantile roof. 2 storeys,
5 bays, double-depth plan. First-floor bays divided by brick pilasters on
double band, paired at the corners and rising into parapet. In first bay on
ground floor, a 3-panel door below 12-pane overlight in rubbed-brick eared
architrave with splayed bases on tall dado. Round-arched sash windows, on
ground floor under brick header arches with projecting brick keystones, on
first floor with brick stretcher surrounds and shaped brick aprons. Coat of
arms in keyed oculus set in sandstone pediment over central bay and flanking
half-bays. Hipped roof. Arcaded and corniced endstacks. Central clock
tower with double quoin strips of chamfered rustication supported by
scrolls. Wooden octagonal cupola with lead-covered roof and weathervane.
The school was built by the first master of the school at his own expense.
Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 376).


Listing NGR: NZ2508800256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.