History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Smelter Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishopdale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2415 / 54°14'29"N

Longitude: -2.0558 / 2°3'20"W

OS Eastings: 396459

OS Northings: 482873

OS Grid: SD964828

Mapcode National: GBR GM2D.Q8

Mapcode Global: WHB5W.DN87

Entry Name: Smelter Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322488

Location: Bishopdale, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Bishopdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Aysgarth

Listing Text

BISHOPDALE B 6160
SD 98 SE
(south-east side, off)
5/8 Smelter Farmhouse
25.3.69
GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1701. Probably for John Horner. Rubble, stone slate
roof. Irregular U-shaped plan, 2 storeys, with 3 first-floor windows to
main range and rear wing to left, shorter staircase wing to rear right and
with added linking single-storey lean-to. Quoins. East front: central C20
six-panel door in elaborately-moulded surround, with double cyma reversa
sections to arris joining in stop chamfers at base. The inner moulding
forms an elaborately stepped head, with "IH" "1701" on spandrels, and a
stepped head to outer moulding. Above, a torus pulvinated frieze, and above
that a segmental pediment. Double-chamfered mullion windows, the lights
with segmental arched heads and sunk spandrels, and with ogee section to
inner chamfers on ground floor. Ground floor: 3-light window to left, 6-
light window with central king mullion to right, both with hoodmoulds
extended into doorway and terminating there in paterae. To right, oval fire
window. First-floor windows: 3-light; single-light with stepped head above
door; 4-light with central king mullion. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping.
Corniced ashlar stacks between first and second first-floor windows and at
right end. Rear: small blocked chamfered surround in gable of stair turret.
Left return, in rear wing, ground-floor 4-light double-chamfered window with
central king mullion, the inner chamfer hollow, and with hoodmould which is
damaged to the right of the window where a doorway has been blocked; first-
floor 4-light double-chamfered mullion window. Interior not inspected. The
name is probably a reference to a medieval hearth for smelting iron ore
found on the hillside nearby. The house is an exceptionally fine example of
its type in the area. Uninhabited at time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: SD9645982873

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.