History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ravensworth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4661 / 54°27'57"N

Longitude: -1.7852 / 1°47'6"W

OS Eastings: 414020

OS Northings: 507880

OS Grid: NZ140078

Mapcode National: GBR HJZS.9S

Mapcode Global: WHC65.K03J

Entry Name: Park House

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322828

Location: Ravensworth, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Ravensworth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ravensworth

Listing Text

NZ 1407-1507 RAVENSWORTH THE GREEN
(west side)

16/127 Park House
(formerly listed as Park
Farmhouse)
4.2.69

GV II

House. Mid-late C17 and late C18 - early C19. Rubble, coursed in later
phase, Westmorland slate roof to front, C20 slate to rear. Irregular U-
shaped plan, the early house now forming left rear wing, possibly with early
extension forming left 2 bays of main facade, and with late C19 service wing
to rear right: cellars under front left 2 bays, 2 storeys but the two
builds on very different levels; elevation to The Green has 4 bays. Ashlar
plinth. Quoins. In third bay, part-glazed leaved doors in ashlar surround
with fluted Tuscan engaged columns supporting fluted frieze with end
paterae, cornice and blocking course. 16-pane sash windows with crown glass
and ashlar projecting sills and deep lintels. Ashlar cornice and coping.
Stacks at ends, left one external, and between second and third bays, the
first two corniced ashlar, the third brick. Rear of C17 wing: external
stack corbelled out at first-floor level (its base masked by added single-
storey outhouse range) and with loft window partly in dressed stone
surround; rear porch has 6-panel door in quoined surround with deep lintel
and cavetto cornice. Left return of rear left range: first-floor 3-light
chamfered mullion window. Interior: front rooms have fielded panel doors
and window shutters; on ground-floor of front range to left of door, 2 rooms
knocked into one, with shell niches flanking fireplace on wall next to front
door, and with different moulded cornices with fret decoration; in room to
right of door, decorative cornice and marginal bands of foliage decoration,
and with central circular ceiling motif. Both rooms have contemporary fire
surrounds. In rear wing, original outer door (now in later extension) of 4
panels in chamfered ashlar doorcase with ogee cornice. Staircase up to
sitting room in rear wing has late C17 turned balusters, and sitting room
has ashlar fireplace with triangular soffit to lintel set in square with
ogee moulding on chamfer (this fireplace served by external stack).


Listing NGR: NZ1402007880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.