History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gayles Hall and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Gayles, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4595 / 54°27'34"N

Longitude: -1.8131 / 1°48'47"W

OS Eastings: 412212

OS Northings: 507138

OS Grid: NZ122071

Mapcode National: GBR HJSW.85

Mapcode Global: WHC65.35WM

Entry Name: Gayles Hall and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 19 December 1951

Last Amended: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322734

Location: Gayles, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Gayles

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ravensworth

Listing Text

NZ 1207-1307 GAYLES GAYLES STREET
(south end)

15/33 Gayles Hall and attached
garden wall
(formerly listed as
19.12.51 Gayles Hall)

GV II

Fortified house, now farmhouse divided into two and outbuildings. with
attached garden wall. Probab1y C16, with early C17, early C18 and later
alterations. Some work for the Wycliffe family. Rubble with ashlar
dressings, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, irregular H plan, the 2 south-east
wings probably once of 3 storeys. South-east elevation, with 2 cross wings:
1:3:1 first-floor windows. Quoins to wings. Between second and third
first-floor windows of spine: centrally-hinged door of 6 fielded panels in
ashlar architrave with bases, plain frieze and cornice; C20 casement window
in former door opening on ground floor to left, and to right of present door
the relieving arch of another opening. Sash windows with glazing bars in
ashlar keyed architraves with moulded sills, and with scars or part-
surrounds of mullion windows, those in wings with relieving arches of rubble
voussoirs above. One window on each floor of wings, and one on ground floor
of spine to left. Gables of wings have ashlar coping. Fluted lead
rainwater heads at angles of wings with spine. Chimneys at outer and inner
sides of wings. Right return of left (west) wing: on ground floor, part
surround of mullion window; on first floor, blocked 3-light mullion window.
Left return of right (east) wing: on ground floor, C20 6-panel door in C20
chamfered ashlar surround and to its left a C20 9-pane unequally hung sash
window in C20 ashlar surround, both below an old relieving arch; on first
floor part of a mullion window. Rear: spine: on ground floor, 6-pane sash
window with part of a larger moulded sill and part of an C18 architrave used
as a lintel; to its right a blocked single-light window; on the first floor,
a stepped external stack supported on 4 ovolo corbels and fluted lead
rainwater heads in angles. Left (east) wing: quoins, and quoins two-thirds
of way along indicating width of wing before C18 staircase added; central
part-glazed door in C19 ashlar surround with cornice, and relieving arch
above; on first floor, sash window as before; to right, in extension, round-
arched staircase window with thick glazing bars in surround with moulded
sill and architrave to arch resting on imposts and with tripartite keystone;
to the right return, a small ground-floor casement window and a first-floor
blocked mullion window. Right (west) wing has board door in ogee-moulded
chamfered quoined ashlar surround below relieving arch, large ridge stack,
and to left (inner) return parts of mullion windows. Right return: ground
floor, from left: 2-light chamfered mullion window below relieving arch;
tripartite window with ashlar surround, the central light a sash with
glazing bars, the outer lights fixed, below segmental relieving arch;
blocked mullion window below relieving arch. First floor: in centre, part
surround of mullion window; sash window with glazing bars on moulded sill;
towards the left end, an eaves stack. Left return: chamfered ashlar doorway
and mullion windows. Running approximately 8 metres north-east from north-
east corner of rear right (east) wing, rubble garden wall with ashlar
coping, swept down to north-east, and with basket-arched quoined chamfered
ashlar doorway at west end. Interior: reeded coving to cornices in ground-
floor rooms of east wing; doors and linings of 6 fieldedpanels; added to
north end of east wing, early C18 oak dogleg staircase with turned balusters
with gadroon on vase, wreathed handrail and panelled dado; in eastern room
of spine, early C17 decorated plaster ceiling, originally part of a larger
room divided up by thick beams into 9 panels with circular motif in centre
panel, with fretwork, guilloche and flower motifs, each panel richly
corniced. From 1563 to 1821 Gayles Hall was the seat of the Wycliffe
family. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group
Report No 793.


Listing NGR: NZ1221207138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.