History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whashton Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Whashton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.451 / 54°27'3"N

Longitude: -1.7689 / 1°46'7"W

OS Eastings: 415084

OS Northings: 506203

OS Grid: NZ150062

Mapcode National: GBR JJ2Z.V6

Mapcode Global: WHC65.SDW4

Entry Name: Whashton Lodge

Listing Date: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322839

Location: Whashton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Whashton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Kirby Hill

Listing Text

NZ 1406-1506 WHASHTON WHASHTON

18/138 Whashton Lodge

GV II

House. Early C18 with later additions. Coursed rubble sandstone,
artificial stone slate roof. 2 storeys with rear outshut which includes
cart-shed, 5 bays, with added bay of lesser quality to right and added
single-storey outbuilding to left. Main range: quoins. Central C20 6-panel
door below overlight in ashlar architrave. C20 sash windows in ashlar
surrounds, formerly with central flat-faced mullions. Bay to right of
inferior rubble and with quoins and blocked doorway to right. Shaped
kneelers and ashlar coping to roof overall. Stacks at ends of main range,
and corniced stack to right end of right bay. Left outbuilding: of roughly
coursed rubble and with two C19 6-pane casement windows, and blocked doorway
to left; ashlar coping to left. Rear: within outshut, segmental-arched
cart-entry, and another, now blocked to form window. Left return of house:
blocked 2-light mullion window in gable. Left return of left outbuilding:
external stone steps leading up to former doorway, now 6-pane window, and
blocked doorway on ground floor with quoined ashlar surround. Interior: in
sitting room to left of door, decorated plaster cornice with acanthus leaf,
egg-and-dart and paterae motifs; fielded panel doors to cupboard next to
fireplace; door and door-lining of 6 fielded panels; reeded panels to window
shutters. In former kitchen to right, ashlar chamfered segmental-arched
fireplace with bases, and modern rear wall blocking much deeper cavity;
stop-chamfered beams. In the early C19 the building housed boarders at a
school built in front of it, the headmaster being Thomas Waller.


Listing NGR: NZ1508406203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.