This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.11 / 51°6'36"N
Longitude: -2.1265 / 2°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 391238
OS Northings: 134533
OS Grid: ST912345
Mapcode National: GBR 1WF.969
Mapcode Global: VH983.3C4D
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321107
Location: Chicklade, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Chicklade
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 93 SW
9/1 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. 1832, on site of Medieval church.
Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Nave and
chancel under one roof, west entrance and bellcote. Gabled west
porch with pointed doorway and C15 style window to sides, rendered
gable with shaped bargeboards. Plain ashlar west end with slightly
projecting bell tower with offset square bell turret with pointed
louvre hipped lead roof with ball finial, buttresses with offsets
to corners. South side has three bays of pointed C15-style windows
with buttresses between. No east window, but relief carved cross
with quatrefoil over, reset memorial tablet with consoles and
broken pediment to Margaret Sympson died 1685. North side has no
windows, but buttresses, reset memorial tablet with semi-circular
shaped top to John Barron died 1685.
Interior: One-space divided by open traceried chancel screen, two
steps up to chancel. Rib-panelled wooden ceiling. Chancel has
piscina set in south west window sill with carved wooden pieta
over, possibly pre-Reformation, painted Crucifixion on panelled
reredos is copy of one by Perugino and executed by Miss Ella Jacob
of Salisbury. Nave and chancel furniture all C19, some pieces in
chancel with initials AM, given by Alfred Morrison of Fonthill.
Plain C12 stone font bowl. Monuments include a brass set in stone
with semi-circular head to Richard Randall died 1745, classical
marble by Reeves to Ellen Frowde died 1830.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Survey of
Countryside Treasures, 1969.
Listing NGR: ST9123834533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings