History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aysgarth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2924 / 54°17'32"N

Longitude: -1.9831 / 1°58'59"W

OS Eastings: 401195

OS Northings: 488534

OS Grid: SE011885

Mapcode National: GBR GLLT.G1

Mapcode Global: WHB5Q.HCWP

Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew

Listing Date: 25 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318439

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323060

Location: Aysgarth, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Aysgarth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Carperby

Listing Text

AYSGARTH CHURCH BANK
NORTH YORKSHIRE
RICHMONDSHIRE
5339
SE 08 NW
(east side, off)
15/38 Church of Saint Andrew
25.3.69
GV II*
Church. Mainly of 1866, in Decorated style. By James Green of Todmorden.
Rubble, slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with aisles,
south porch. Tower: 5 stages, the lower 4 of C14 masonry. Diagonal and
lateral off-set buttresses. Single-light vents to 3 lowest stages; clock
face to north and south of 4th stage; two 2-light belfry openings on each
elevation. Gargoyles, crenellated parapet with pinnacles. Pointed-arched
doorway, perhaps C18, on north side. South porch: tall pointed opening with
continuous wave moulding and large heads on label stops. Inner doorway of
2 hollow-chamfered orders. South aisle: 2-light Decorated-style windows.
To right of priest's door, re-used medieval tombstone with hunting horn,
perhaps of a Forester of Wensleydale Forest. Parapet. 2-light clerestorey
windows to nave, 2 paired lights and single-light to chancel. Crenellated
parapets. East window: 5-light Perpendicular-style. Aisle east windows:
4-light Perpendicular-style. Interior: 2 damaged medieval piscinas flanking
priest's door. C10 Northumbrian cross-head found in churchyard on table
near main door. South side of chancel: very fine rood screen, of seven
3-light bays from Jervaulx Abbey by the Ripon School of Carvers, c1506; also
2 stall ends of similar quality with rebus of William de Heslington, Abbot
of Jervaulx from 1472, now in reading desk. In north chancel, timber beam
across 1 bay of arcade inscribed "A S Abbas Ann. D'm. 1536", for Adam
Sedber, the 1st Abbot of Jervaulx Abbey, which held the advowson. Good C19
pews with doors in nave. 3 brass candelabra in nave. Some fine C18
monuments including those to the Yarkers. VCH i, pp 210-1


Listing NGR: SE0119588534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.