This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1056 / 51°6'20"N
Longitude: -2.3278 / 2°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 377149
OS Northings: 134086
OS Grid: ST771340
Mapcode National: GBR 0TV.LB1
Mapcode Global: VH97Z.LGRS
Entry Name: The Grotto and the River God's Cave
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Last Amended: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321257
Location: Stourton with Gasper, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Stourton with Gasper
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Stour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
3 STOURTON WITH GASPER STOURHEAD GARDENS
ST 73 SE
6/151 The Grotto and The River God's Cave
(formerly listed as The Grotto)
Grotto and spring head. Circa 1748, by William Privet of Chilmark
for Henry Hoare, entrance added 1776. Tufa limestone on brick,
stone domed roof. Circular domed chamber with two symmetrical arms
and rockwork passage to the north and The River God's-Cave to the
south, overlooking lake. Opposing entrances of passages to main
chamber have open pediments over semi-circular openings with
keystones and imposts, facades in rustic classical style, Latin
inscription over north entrance, concealed by 1776 passageway.
Opposing entrances within main chamber are matched by arched
openings on side overlooking lake and west side with cold bath and
spring cascading below painted lead statue of Ariadne, the words
'Nymph of the Grot these sacred springs I keep ...' are incised
onto edge of pool, 1967 replica of original, a translation by Pope.
Between the main arches are niches, all connected by impost bands
and with exaggerated keystones. Floored with concentric pattern of
cobbles, domed roof with tufa ribs, top-lit by circular window with
disc ornament. Facing the south entrance to the grotto is The
River God's Cave, tufa with arched opening to vaulted chamber with
painted lead statue of the River God by John Cheere, c1751, the
source of the River Stour is engineered to flow from an urn. Both
the River God and Ariadne are illuminated by grilled lights in the
roofs. This is an important grotto in English landscape gardening,
with classical allusions; really a nymphaeum. Henry Hoare was
probably attempting to recreate the scene from Virgil's Aeneid in
which Aeneas meets the nymphs and the River God (Father Tiber) and
is shown the way to the Pantheon and the altar of Hercules.
(K. Woodbridge, The Stourhead Landscape, 1982; Accounts in WRO)
Listing NGR: ST7714734083
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings