This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1782 / 51°10'41"N
Longitude: -1.7827 / 1°46'57"W
OS Eastings: 415287
OS Northings: 142129
OS Grid: SU152421
Mapcode National: GBR 503.03N
Mapcode Global: VHB5C.1NX5
Entry Name: Large Granary at Countess Farm
Listing Date: 31 December 1974
Last Amended: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321345
Location: Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Amesbury
Built-Up Area: Countess
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Amesbury St Mary and St Melor
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
AMESBURY COUNTESS ROAD
SU 14 SE
6/34 Large granary at Countess Farm
(formerly listed as Outbuildings to
31.12.74 Avondale School)
Large granary, now store for seed, fertilizer and hurdles. 1772.
Timber framed and weatherboarded 9 x 4 staddles, reinforced with
C20 brick piers. Thatched roof. Five bays, with opposed central
doors and second sliding door on west. Paned timber windows at
alternating ends of bays. Raised platforms to west doors, one
removed. Roof half hipped. Interior is lined with horizontal
boarding to 1.3m height. Jowled posts with straight braces to wall
plates and straight tie-beams, main post inscribed 10/1772.
Queen struts and collar. Single tier of purlins with windbraces.
Ridge. Walls have long diagonal braces and bressumers to gable
ends. Trusses numbered from north. One of an important group of
later C18 farm buildings at Countess Farm (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SU1528742129
Other nearby listed buildings