This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0861 / 51°5'9"N
Longitude: -2.3119 / 2°18'42"W
OS Eastings: 378252
OS Northings: 131910
OS Grid: ST782319
Mapcode National: GBR 0V1.Y1M
Mapcode Global: FRA 6617.WPM
Entry Name: Chafyn Grove Cottages parish Hall
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Last Amended: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321305
Location: Zeals, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Zeals
Built-Up Area: Bourton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Stour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ZEALS NEW ROAD
ST 73 SE
6/199 NOs 1, 2, 3 and 4 Chafyn-Grove
Cottages and Parish Hall (formerly
6.1.66 listed as The Almshouses and
Almhouses and parish hall. 1865, provided by William Chafyn-Grove
of Zeals House (q.v.). 1888 village hall. Flemish bond brick on
rubble stone plinth, diaper work in vitrified headers, tiled roof
with coped verges and diagonally-set brick stacks. C17-style.
Asymmetric plan. Two-storey, 3-window. Main range has moulded
doorway to left of centre to recessed porch, 4-light ovolo-
mullioned casement with hoodmould either side and 3-light ovolo-
mullioned casement with hoodmould to right, first floor has three
3-light ovolo-mullioned casements, inscription tablet recording
foundation in 1865, in memory of William Chafyn-Grove's mother,
over centre window; gable over with coped verge. To left is
single-storey range with gabled porch with arched doorway, 4-light
ovolo-mullioned casement and a second arched doorway to left.
Attached to right is single-storey wing projecting to front with
Tudor-arched doorway in gabled porch, 3-light mullioned casement to
gable end, large external stack to right return. Rear lean-to with
mullioned casements, single storey range has large stack to rear.
Village hall attached to left of former schoolroom is gable end to
road with 4-light mullioned casement, 1888 datestone and coped
verge to gable end, three 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements to
south side, C20 porch attached to left.
Interior retains C19 joinery, No. 1 has serpentine splat balusters,
similar to those in C19 wing of Zeals House (q.v.). Possible
evidence of a C17 building here; some earlier brickwork on stacks
and north wing, the base of walls are partly rubble stone.
Listing NGR: ST7825231910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings