This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1725 / 51°10'20"N
Longitude: -1.7979 / 1°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 414221
OS Northings: 141491
OS Grid: SU142414
Mapcode National: GBR 502.G7W
Mapcode Global: VHB5B.SSCJ
Entry Name: West Amesbury House
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321393
Location: Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Amesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Amesbury St Mary and St Melor
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
AMESBURY WEST AMESBURY
(north west side)
11/81 West Amesbury House
House, C15, C17, altered in C18 and remodelled in early C20 by
Detmar Blow. Flint and limestone chequerwork with stone quoins.
Tiled roofs. Two storeys, cellars and attics. Front has two wide
gabled bays with narrower linking bays, slightly inset, and
containing main entrance. Half bay on east side C20, with parapet.
Six x fielded and panelled door with margin glazed fanlight, over 4
semi-circular stone steps. Gabled bays replace narrower and cross
wings and recessed centre with three gables. Ground floor of each
bay has one 4-light stone-mullioned window, with recessed chamfered
two-light windows to first floor with moulded architraves. Two-
light attic windows with chamfered mullions. Coped gables with
pineapple finials. Brick stacks. To left, carriage entrance
through single storey stable wing (q.v.).
Interior: Hallway with living room to left, dining room to right
and stair to rear. Kitchen wing extended to rear on right. Left
wing incorporates the parlour wing of a C15 house. Six trusses
forming 5 equal bays; arched braced collars and 2 tiers of wind
braces to purlins, the tapered principal rafters halved at apex.
End trusses have weathered outer faces. First floor has chamfered
2-centred stone arch from upper floor of central block, perhaps a
gallery. Ground floor has C15 moulded timber screen between
lateral passage from stair, and kitchen. Opposite, C17 panelling.
Main reception rooms have C18 panelling, panelled doors and
shutters and eared fire surround to rear east room. Queen post and
arched collar roof to main range, probably a heightening of earlier
block. Stair has twisted balusters, early C18.
(Country Life, 1st Sept. 1960; Headquarters of the Experimental
Flying Group, 1939; NMR 50119)
Listing NGR: SU1422141491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings