History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School with Railings, Gate and Gate-Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in East Witton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2693 / 54°16'9"N

Longitude: -1.7791 / 1°46'44"W

OS Eastings: 414484

OS Northings: 485980

OS Grid: SE144859

Mapcode National: GBR JM02.MB

Mapcode Global: WHC6Y.NY0G

Entry Name: Old School with Railings, Gate and Gate-Piers

Listing Date: 25 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321633

Location: East Witton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: East Witton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
East Witton

Listing Text

SE 18 NW EAST WITTON TOWN EAST WITTON
(south side)

10/11 Old School with railings,
gate and gate-piers

GV II

School, now house, and railings, gate and gate-piers. 1817. Sandstone
ashlar with herring-bone tooling, stone slate roof, wrought-iron railings.
Single storey, 3 bays. Projecting central porch with pointed-arched opening
with studded board door, and on sides blind pointed-arched single-lights;
crested parapets. School room: flanking the porch, broad pointed-arched
windows with intersecting Y-tracery. Ashlar copings, end stack right.
Range on left has been raised from 1 to 2 storeys and is not of special
interest. In front of school, low ashlar plinth with saddleback section
coping on top carrying simple railings with urn finials to standards.
Monolithic sandstone gate-piers flanking gate with simple bars and
decorative scrollwork in lower half. "The church school was erected by the
Earl of Ailesbury in 1817", Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of
North Yorkshire, 1890, p 627.


Listing NGR: SE1448485980

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.