This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.292 / 54°17'31"N
Longitude: -1.9077 / 1°54'27"W
OS Eastings: 406106
OS Northings: 488485
OS Grid: SE061884
Mapcode National: GBR HL3T.S6
Mapcode Global: WHB5R.NDS1
Entry Name: Church of Saint Bartholomew
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321847
Location: West Witton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: West Witton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 08 NE WEST WITTON CHURCH LANE
13/99 Church of Saint
Church. C16 tower, rest of 1875, the latter by J.B. and W. Atkinson.
Coursed stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. West tower, nave
with north aisle and south porch, chancel with organ chamber and vestry to
north. Tower: 3 storeys. Quoins. West ground-floor window of 2 uncusped
pointed lights below hoodmould with headstops. Light vent to south side of
ringing chamber. Clock to west and south faces. On all sides, belfry
openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights below hoodmould. String. Gargoyle to
south. Battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Porch: quoins.
Continuous wave moulding to arris of pointed doorway, label above. Old head
set above doorway in coped gable. Nave: quoins. South doorway with
continuous roll mould. 3 windows of 2 cinquefoil-head lights below
hoodmoulds. Copings. Gable cross at east end. North aisle with 3 smaller
windows matching those on south side. Blocked flat-headed window in west
wall. Chancel: quoins. 2 single-light windows each with cinquefoil-head
below hoodmould. Gable cross at east end. 3-light Perpendicular-style east
window. Vestry: board door in round-headed chamfered north doorway, single-
light cinquefoil-headed window below hoodmould with primitive head stops to
east. Decorative chimney. Organ chamber: single-light cinquefoil-headed
north window below hoodmould with small head stops. Interior: 3-bay north
arcade, chancel arch and organ-chamber arch, all in Perpendicular style.
C16 pointed tower arch. Near chancel arch, 2 old bells, said to be of Saxon
and c.1300 dates. At west end, early C18 altar table. Small C18 font,
wine-glass shape. Chamfered doorway to vestry, set in the wall of which is
stone with Saxon cross-head on it, perhaps a dedication stone.
Listing NGR: SE0610688485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings